A 12 year old Battery in a Toyota RAV4?

I bought my daughter a 2008 RAV4 in Jan 2009.    I was over to her house a month ago and noticed it still had a Toyota battery in it.   Look at the stickers,  it was the original battery put in when the car was made in October 2008.   That makes the battery 12 years old.   I have never EVER see such a thing and wonder if anyone else has had the same luck with Toyota batteries? 

Seen,  not see.   Typo.

The terrific news is Toyota of Greenville offers countless services and parts specials when it comes to car batteries and in countless cases if you buy a battery. Get 2016 Toyota Camry values, consumer reviews, safety ratings, and find ... Better yet, Toyota refreshed the Camry for 2015, and did not redesign the car until 2018. Therefore, you can cross-shop a 2016 Camry with both the 2015 and 2017 The Camry Hybrid returns effortlessly impressive gas mileage, and may also cost

YESP! my computer has a LISP! My BENZ battery lasted for SEVENTEEN YEARS! IT goes to SHOW you that WE ARE STIL BACKWARDS in this country! Even BATTERIES are made BETTER and CHARGING systems are made BETTER! Most NEW batteries from AUTO ZONE only last for ONE or TWO YEARS >>>>> REALLY! The JAPANESE and EUROPEAN still make the BEST things followed by FORD and CHRYSLER< well SOME  models anyway! They use the BEST material and the most PURE chemistry so WHY NOT! And batteries that are MAINTENANCE FREE are just a way of saying MADE MORE CHEAPLY! I MUSE that the JAPANES would rather commit HARE KERY than give you a BAD product! We STILL have a LOSS of SELF ESTEEM in this country that is VERY VERY SAD! ONLY RECENTLY have our CARS been IMPROVED and WORTH buying!!! While EVERYONE with a JAP or ASIAN car LOVES THEM for reliability and ease of care!>>TRY driving an AUDI A3!!! IT will KNOCK your SOCKS OFF! AWD QUATTRO wins RACES everywhere on EARTH< and they are made to last THIRTY YEARS! They MUST have SPECIAL OIL However that meets the spec numbers 502/505 ONLY! But OIL CHANGES last for ONE FULL YEAR or LONGER! >>>>YES YES YES!!! no DOUBT that JAPANESE and EUROPEAN batteries LAST much LONGER! They are PERFECTIONISTS and we are LOUSY CONSUMERS looking for a QUICK FIX or a CHEAP fix! I buy USED ones from WRECKED cars all the time! IN THE FUTURE< we will be having QUANTUM GLASS BATTERIES that will las ONE HUNDRED YEARS! They will be in ELECTRIC CARS, COMPUTERS, PHONES< and nearly ALL the major AUTO PLAYERS are ON BOARD! The GLASS battery only take ONE MINUTE to recharge in a PRIUS or other electric vehicle! And in PHONES that ALSO last darned near FOREVER!  IT is ALL about REPUTATION and PURITY!  WE DEFINITELY have LOST this sense of PRIDE!!! aen we watch our OLDER CARS rust out in the driveway!>>IT IS BETTER NOW however! Ask a TOYTA dealer howmuch a TOYOTA BATTERY IS! They have them MADWE by SOMEONE ELSE! They do NOT make it themselves! And teh CAMRYis made in the USA as well! GO FIGURE!

• Maka

a new battery is 150 Dollars a small price to pay considering what a towtruck would charge you not to mention the pleasure of getting stranded somewhere on a cold rainy night. Get a new battery before your little girl gets stranded somewhere AND CLEAN THE TERMINALS WHILE YOU ARE AT IT.

i would replace it just to be sure 

Mine lasted 10 because it was a 10 year battery.  It had a factory $200 battery.  (You pay for the extra longevity) When the battery did quit in 10 year mark I put in a 5 year battery.

I had a Yuasa battery last that long back in the 1970's. It is exceptional to get that much service from car batteries. The factory battery in my 2010 Corolla started failing at 8 years and 80,000 miles of mixed driving. I might have been able to coax more life out of it, giving it a slow charge, but when I chose to replace it I was 850 miles from home.

If this was a first gen Miata, that would've been normal, but a 2008 RAV4? That's awesome! I would get the battery tested. It might still be fine, but I'd be considering a replacement battery. You wouldn't want your daughter stranded somewhere,  especially due to an old battery.  That battery has really gone above and beyond it's service life. Kudos to Toyota and the previous owner.     

• CB

Had a 2000 Chrysler I bought in 2006 didn't put battery in it until 2015 probably a replacement before 2006 but still good number of years from most OEM batteries.

• F

Mine is on 8+ years , a record for me. Yuasa for the record.

Time to replace it.  Enjoy your good luck.