Lauren asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Should I get another cat when I move?? Help! ?

Okay so I’m moving out in February, to live in alone. I currently live with a couple roommates and one has a cat, and I do too. When I adopted my cat she came with a tag stating she is aggressive with other animals, it took my cat and my roommates cat about a month and now they are like best friends. I’m worried when I move she is going to miss that cat, and I’m starting to think maybe I should get another cat so she isn’t alone when I move. But knowing her history before me she wasn’t recommended to be with another animal. I’m just confused on what to do. I just want her the happiest / healthiest she can be 24/7. 

Wait until your cat adjusts to their new home. See how she does being alone. Sometimes a cats owner is enough company for the cat, barring you play with her and give her your attention.

Also on the other hand it might help her to be less aggressive with animals if you try to introduce another cat into the mix. Just keep in mind you'd have to get rid of the new cat if your current cat decides she doesn't want to get along.

• Maxi

If you are moving in febuary do you have a rental contract already in place/signed which allows you more than one pet ( or any pets) ...as things are changing you don't get another pet until you know and can afford to do it ....... and you NEVER buy another pet for a pet

• PR

One month is about normal for cats to accept one another. Cats don't do terribly well with change. The fact that your cat took this amount of time is not unusual. Also, if you decide to get another cat, consider allowing your cat to adjust to your new home before introducing a newcomer to her.

Be sure both animals are spayed or neutered. Place the newcomer in the bathroom where the resident cat will be able to smell her scent from under the door. If the new cat is not comfortable in the bathroom, you can confine it to a room such as a bedroom. The two to four week rule will apply for the cats to adjust to one another.