Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Is it ok to let someone die?

My boyfriend wants to die and is begging for me to let him go. He has no terminal illnesses. I dont want him to die but i dont know what to do if hed be happier if i let him 

You have given very close to no information here. If he says, "let me drown in the ocean" like he's Jack and you're Rose except you live in South Dakota, there is no practical threat of anything there, just empty moping. Sounds like he may be 12 and you 13 or, possibly, he made a mistake/cheated and doesn't want to tell you and doesn't know how to tell you to leave. Either way, seek counseling for both of you because 

a. you came to yahoo to address what you actually thought was a life or death situation

b. he thinks he will die if you "let him go."

Please get him help. I lost my grandson the same way. Think of his family get help tell someone and spare the grief that I have suffered now for almost two years. I will never get over it. One phone call and he would be with me today on Thanksgiving.

Sounds like you're the one in control. That's not good. He's asking you to decide whether to keep living or not. It shouldn't be up to you. You shouldn't be the sole factor in his life determining whether he stays alive or not. Tell him that he is more important than you are and that he shouldn't let you determine the course or his life. Maybe he has/had a domineering, scary, authoritarian mother like I had who never allowed him to express his own autonomy/masculinity/ free will? Don't really know, But his self-esteem needs some help. I don't know. I'm probably just full of it. Should be worrying about my own problems, I guess.

Can you ask him why?

• ?

Sure, if they are a DNR. Sounds like your bf may need to seek a mental health professional, though.

• *****

In what way would you "let him" die? He doesn't need anyone's permission to commit suicide, he could simply take his life somewhere others weren't around to intervene. 

If he's threatening to commit suicide and refuses to seek help on his own, then next time he threatens, you call emergency services (911 or equivalent in your country) and report that he's suicidal, so he can hopefully get some psychological help. If he's going around begging you to "let him die", he wants you to get him help, not to actually die- if he wanted to die, he'd have done it already. I know people for whom an involuntary commitment after a suicide threat was the first step in finally getting the help they needed to treat their depression.

Is he asking you not to call emergency services if he attempts suicide? That would definitely be wrong, and probably not legal, either. 

What??? Why does he want that? What's the reason? Didn't you bother asking him? I mean why would a normal person want to die? If your boyfriend wants any such thing then probably he is not fine. Something is bothering him. The main cause of suicide is depression and mental illness. There must be something he is overthinking about. You should take him in trust and ask him about what he is going through. Don't let him alone to struggle and suffer. Mental illness is life-threatening. People lose control over their emotions and can commit suicide. Please help him heal and save a life. Here I've found strategies to fight depression may be it could help you https://mangoclinic.com/strategies-to-fight-depres... Ireally hope he gets back to normal.  

Try to convince him not to. But if he's set on the idea, what can you do. I'm against the idea of having a person--by any mean--committed to a mental hospital. By force. 

• ?

You're a horrible person for even considering letting him do that.

• Embery

Sure it is and if he keeps showing up say things like "Are you still here?"