Computer wont switch to single monitor when second monitor is unplugged.?

So I only have 1 HDMI slot on my computer so when I want to do VR I have to unplug my primary monitor, then plug in the headset. For the longest time this worked fine, when it stopped receiving input from the primary monitor it would switch to the other monitor and move the windows over to it. Idk what's changed but now it still behaves as if the other monitor is there, I can move my mouse off that edge of the screen and interact with things that I can't see, restarting the computer with only the one plugged in fixes the issue but it's frankly irritating to have to restart every time I want to hop into VR and when I want back out. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Favorite Answer

If it WAS working and now is not, there is a disconnect in the way in which the software senses which monitor is plugged in...  

Try this: Before you unplug the monitor, manually switch to one monitor, forcing windows to make the change. Then, when you unplug the monitor, Windows will work the way you want.  

• Bill-M

There is a display setting in Windows that controls the monitors.  check it.

check the BIOS