Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Can you tell the difference between the German and Dutch languages?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Yes. Dutch is the same thing as German but they spell everything wrong and like to add double vowels and pronounce everything different. So A German speaker can read Dutch but not really understand spoken Dutch

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes.  While they are related, they are different enough that you can tell the difference.  

• 2 months ago

Yes I can.  Standard German and Standard Dutch are pretty different.  The diphthongs are different, Dutch has no High German Sound Shift and it's less inflected.  However, considered as dialects they blend into each other.  Two farmers on the Dutch-German border would be able to talk normally to each other but when they went home and did their paperwork one would be doing it in the kind of language spoken in Amsterdam and the other in the kind of language spoken in Hannover.

• Rjgmh
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Yes you can. I speak Dutch and German fluently. There is a lot of difference between the both. The simpelest way is to use google translate. This can automatically determine the language and translate it also.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, easily most of the time but there are a few dialects where my ear can't quite decide which it's listening.  I often have Dutch radio on in background.  I understand spoken Dutch better than standard German though ironically I read German more fluently than Dutch.  

• 2 months ago

I can because I know Dutch fluently and I know a little German.I doubt if a Japanese could with out knowing some of either one.

• 2 months ago

Many people can. It is not a mark of some astonishing superhuman power.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

yes, everybody who has had some exposure to both can. There are some dialects in between though

Source(s): dutch on german border
  • 2 months ago

Yes, I can......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.