Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

if I start taking karate now could I eventually take on any bully?

Karate will teach you so many things.   You won't want to "take on any bully," as you slowly become stronger and fitter physically and mentally.  It is a lifetime journey so don't focus on the belts.  Even if you become a Shodan ( level 1 black ) it's really only the start of your journey but gives you an excellent base to continue.  If you are even slightly considering practicing karate just trot down to your local dojo.  I've got a feeling you'll never regret it!

Good luck and best wishes!

No. Karate, in and of itself will not enable you to defend yourself from any bully.  You should watch a YouTube channel called "The Art of One Dojo."  It's very informative.

• Bill

Of course not   A good teacher will teach you to avoid fighting in the first place, which will win most encounters - but not all.   My teacher told me the story how he was drinking at a bar, and his friend was being hassled by a person next to him.   His friend was an excellent martial artist.   But rather than confront the person they decided to leave.   As they were going down the stairs the person who was hasling his friend brushed past him, and while he did so opened a switchblade knife into his ribs and ran off.   So even avoiding a fight will not always work.

• Bon

First, that would depend on your instructor. Martial art instructors are not all created equal. Whether you take karate or any other martial art, it still depends on your teacher.

Second, assuming you find a teacher who can give you the proper training, eventually you would be able to defend yourself BUT "eventually" does not mean days, weeks or months. It means several years.

The lesson I learned from "Cobra Kai" is that by taking karate, you will become the bully. But that is just a tv show.

• Barry

Yes. Most martial arts advocate walking away. But karate is good exercise and gives confidence.