Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Will academic awards impress Harvard? Princeton? ?

In high school I received several academic awards even though my GPA is only a 3.75. 

I was named Teen Miss Ireland 🇮🇪 ☘️ by an Irish Pub in their “Mr and Miss Ireland” contest they held before the St Patrick’s Day Parade. There was a talent - and evening gown contest. I sang Isle of Innisfree for the talent part of the contest. I did well enough that I actually won the contest.

I also received an accolade by one of the local resorts in the Florida when I won their swimwear contest during spring break of 2018.

Will these awards impress the Harvard and Princeton admissions judges. I have a 620 math and a 680 verbal SAT score. Will they let me into Harvard or Princeton on these scores?

Do I have any potential to win a 👩‍🏫 scholarship 👩‍🎓 to help pay for my schooling? What scholarships should I consider with my academic record and awards?

Those are so prestigious that basically those who get there were asked instead of asking - but never give up on a dream. 

• ?

Oh very amusing.

• Lili

Troll fail, dear.

As an Ivy graduate and longtime YA participant, I know a troll when I see one.

Not very sharp, I must say.  You obviously don't even know how Ivy financial aid works.  It's based entirely on family income.

Try again, in a category you know something about.

• fcas80

I'm sure you must be very attractive to win those awards, but they are not academic awards.  

A 3.75 GPA is very good, but it is time to set your sites on a lower level school.

This is a troll post, don't get sucked in.  Same basic post has been made several times just to bait responses.

I really don't think a bathing suit contest is going to do much for you, but you never know. 

They are going to look for someone who goes above and beyond in every aspect of their lives, from academic, to employment to social and political attitudes, where you have volunteered, how much of yourself you have contributed to a cause, basically everything you have put yourself into, they want to know about, and they also want to be reassured that you are going to do even more once they choose you to go there. 

In other words~ you gotta bring your A+++ game.

Here is a website for Harvard and for Princeton, with some external links for you to look at, regarding what they look for in an applicant. Good luck.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/apply/what-...

https://admission.princeton.edu/how-apply/helpful-...

Yes, academic awards will impress Harvard and Princeton.

No, beauty contests are not "academic awards." Even when there is a talent component to the judging. 

That said, if you won Miss America, or even Miss Florida, that might impress the admissions committee (not "judges" LOL). That, along with a top-of-the-class (top 5%) GPA and SAT scores north of 1500, might actually give you a better chance of admissions, over someone that needs to study 24/7 to get similar grades, and doesn't have impressive extracurricular actives. 

But a local pub or resort contest? So not impressive. 

In any event, any extracurricular activities, be they beauty contests, poems published in the New Yorker, or chess championships, never increase the chance of admissions (in the Ivy League) of students with mediocre GPAs, class ranks, or SAT scores. Universities like Harvard gets tens of thousands of applicants, many of whom are #1 in their high school class and have near-perfect SAT scores. ECs help them decide which of these to accept; they don't increase the chances of second-rate students. 

Most of the Ivy League universities have need-based scholarships only. Scholarships are determined by your family's income, number of children, etc. They do not award any merit-based scholarships.

"Academic awards" would be National Merit Scholarship, national or international levels of science fairs for original scientific research projects you conduct on your own, etc. A school certificate is irrelevant. Award by a local pub or resort is silly, makes you look frivolous. IF you represented Ireland in recognized worldwide competition, you probably would have won a scholarship (a common award for these). Your GPA & SAT scores are below median for prestigious & highly competitive universities such as the Ivies, Stanford, etc.

• drip

You have asked this before, a few times.

A beauty contest by an Irish pub and a Florida resort isn’t going to impress any university.

a good reference letter is far superior to those