Computer hard drive stop working and lost the recovery disk for windows 10?

So I have this old HP desktop computer that came with windows 10 and the hard drive stop working and I lost my recovery disk. I have no way of installing windows had I have no disk. 

Well there is OEM sticker with product key can I go to Microsoft web site and enter that OEM product key to download windows 10 or do I have to get retail copy of windows 10?

How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Quote go to the Media Creation Tool Web site and download and run the Tool , Log on with the same Windows Account and Windows 10 will automatically activate. quote 

Does this only work if you have a Windows Account set up with Microsoft? And does it work with OEM copy of windows?

• ?

is it still under warranty , they will change your hd and put windows in if it still under warranty , if its  out of warranty you have to pay for a new hard drive and pay for windows seperatelly , after all you lost the recovery disk in the first place .

You can call HP or go to their web site and ask them for a recovery disk. I am certain you will pay a fee, just not sure how much! You give them the model number of your PC

• John

Now me, I'd view it as an opportunity to update that "old HP computer". In the refurbished market you can do pretty well for under $400.

• Bill-M

Windows 10 is real easy to install.   Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

On a working Computer, go to the Media Creation Tool Web site and download and run the Tool.  It will download the Windows 10 ISO and place it on a USB Stick and make it Bootable.  On the broken computer,  Purchase a new Solid State Hard Drive, install it and then boot off of the USB.  Log on with the same Windows Account and Windows 10 will automatically activate.

Media Creation Tool Website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/...

• ?

There's really no need for an OEM disk. If you have access to a working PC with internet, go to Microsoft's media creation tool page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/...

Download the tool and make a bootable W10 USB installer. Boot your HP PC off of that USB installer and go through the Windows install process. The product key is embedded into the BIOS so you don't need to worry about finding it.

Once Windows is installed, download and install the drivers from HP's page. W10 will usually download the drivers it assumes are best for your hardware, but I still prefer downloading from the manufacturer. Once the drivers are installed, install any available Windows Updates. once all that is done, you should be good to go.

I actually prefer doing this method because I don't have to deal with the useless HP OEM bloatware crap they love to install.

• ?

Contact HP for a replacement disk. Should be a minimal charge. At least they did this years back for a Windows 8 machine ...............