Is my car usable on motorway?

I have the new Suzuki swift which has 90 hp and weighs less than a ton. I have already used it on the motorway quite a few times with no problems. However most car review sites state that this is not a car made for the motorway. 

If you turn off the radio and listen to the engine, it sounds like a sewing machine running at high speed.  It is frightening.  Something will eventually explode.  So, not a highway hauler. A VW slug bug with 40 hp could do the highway because it is geared differently. So engine runs slower...as it ran like a tractor motor ...slow and steady.

.  Sure while the Suzi is new you can do it, but new gets old too so then it will hemorrhage on you  doing a "titts up" death one day.  Maybe you don't have the car anymore and went to a different car.  I can't see your future.

.  Only you can.  So maybe you want to "roll the dice"? CAR SEAT COMFORT is what really counts here.  VW had comfortable seats.(the ones with the horse hair stuffing)  You could drive for 18 hours and then run out and play soccer without being tired or sore in the back...immediately.

U.S. domestics or Asian cars are both uncomfortable on long journeys. Volvo supposedly makes good seats but I won't drive a Volvo.

• Anton

The car reviewers cream on big fast vehicles.  Ignore them, they don't like small.

Truth?  That little Swift is overkill on the motorway.  I have a Fortwo, 70 hp, that has no problem doing 85 to 90 mph on the Interstates.  Also quite comfortable on long trip from L.A. to Phoenix.

What is a motorway? And how fast does the car go?

• ?

If you’re happy with it on the motorway then it’s fine.

The point they’re making is that it’s optimised as a city car and could be quite unpleasant or tiring for regular motorway use or for long motorway journeys. 

I’ve driven without problems all over Europe and into places like North Africa and Asia (Turkey) in a variety of some of the least motorway-friendly cars such as the Citroën 2CV6, Mini 850, Fiat 126 and original Fiat Panda, and a Daewoo Matiz. They’ve all been fine, although I wouldn’t care to repeat long journeys of any kind again in the Fiat 126 and the Mini 850. The 126 was just too small, too slow, too vulnerable and totally lacking in luggage space, and the Mini was too slow, too noisy, too unreliable, and horribly uncomfortable.

The Swift is far more modern than any of those and has at least twice the horsepower. It’s fine. Just not as good as cars designed to munch miles at high speed (which can be totally unsuitable for regular city usage).

It's legal, but the reason people might say it isn't suitable is because it may not be comfortable for long trips.  It's also rather underpowered, so while it can keep up with traffic, I wouldn't try to pass anyone.

I had a 1986 Dodge Colt in the 1980s.  It had all of 56 hp, and I drove it everywhere, even a 17 hour drive to Florida.