Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Should I Give Up On Being An Artist?

Have been thinking about this for a while. Started drawing at a very young age as a way to express and communicate (and in some cases communicate in general) the feelings I felt I could not to most others yet it now seems now it is more practical to continue learning how to talk to people and knowing myself better. 

Had been wanting to purse art as career a lot before yet now am not sure if it'll make me happy or the most happy. Especially when watching the progressions of some other female artists and females in general. I am female and 23 by the way.

Any thoughts?

What you describe in your first paragraph makes you sound like a perfect fit to become an art therapist. Art therapists treat patients through the patient's drawings - patients are typically very young children who are unable to articulate their feelings, so they draw and their feelings are interpreted through the pictures they create. 

My thoughts are you should look into art therapy as a rewarding career for yourself. It probably pays way better than just being an artist and struggling to sell your work - you can still do this on the side while working as an art therapist. 

Best of luck to you.

Never give up on a dream.  The problem some people have is not taking care of them self, meaning pay their bills.  You hear all the time, famous actors, male and female who were dog walkers, bellboy, busboy, waiters, waitress, street cleans, septic tank cleaners, and more low paying jobs, that are usually easy to find, to pay their bills, while they are taking acting classes, and going on call outs, and auditions.  unless you do and want to live with your parents, most people have rent, food, internet, cable, phone, car payments, and of course insurance, both health and car.  Your dream should not cost others for you to live.  As long as you take care of your self financially, dream away.  good luck

Keep telling your stories in the language you know best. It doesn't preclude doing something else to pay the bills.

These days you can turn hobby into money. You would be amazed the kinds of things people dare to pay money for. You can add yourself on sites as skill-share or patreon. Expose your art to society and see if it benefits you in any way

I for one would never think that people still spend money on Art, but they do. Starting from millions of dollars to simply a thousand dollars per a piece. You never know until you start

It's the procrastination that lets us down. It's the perfectionism in our heads that causes all that anxiety before any start

Lower your dopamine by shutting off social media and doing hard things will seem effortless

• garry

money , most artist are poor and have no money , just art .

try not to give up , I know someone who enjoys when you do if you know me...

You can choose something else as a career if you think that's more practical and still continue to create art. You don't have to give up on something just because you're confused about taking it as a career. Changing as a person and having a different outlook on life compared to your past self doesn't necessarily has to mean giving up on the things you love, they can surely still be your hobbies and things you love rather than them being your career path. Another thing, if you want you could also make art your side income.

No you shouldn't.

That is a great job.

You'll do great.

If you love creating art then you should continue and you will succeed. The question is, are you motivated by the creative process, or do you just want to be (or call yourself) an artist? That's the key...and no one can answer but you.

• Thorn

No.  Do it because you enjoy it.

There aren't enough artists.  Part of why so many people are so high-strung is they don't have a release thru art