Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Was my mom in the wrong?!?

So today I went to work at 5am and I woke up at 3am. I go to work this early every day of the week with one day off. And I work at least 7 hours which isn’t a whole lot but I’m 19 and want some extra money. I’m home for the holidays and staying with my family.

Anyways my mom or dad have to wake up early with me to take me to work because I don’t have a license and they don’t seem to mind too much because they were the ones who told me I needed a job. I appreciate it, I told my dad this morning. My mom had to pick me up at 12 today and at like 12:20 I wasn’t out and she went to pick up food she ordered for the whole family. I was kind of annoyed because I’d had a long day and just wanted to go home and I couldn’t text her while I was at work. 

When I got in the car I was tired and some of my coworkers aren’t the nicest. Of course I didn’t mean to take that out on my mom but I just needed to vent. There’s also this guy I have a crush on there and I wasn’t feeling my best. 

She got me a milkshake apparently and when I got frustrated in the car she brought it up how she brought me one and I was being rude to her. I got upset and told her I wasn’t being rude and got annoyed and didn’t say anything else to her 

When I got home I was on my phone while I was eating and she took my milkshake and drinks it right in front of me. I wanted that milkshake all week and was gonna buy it myself. She said how I was rude and didn’t deserve it so she drunk it was this petty?

• ?

You should've gotten your license a long time ago. You should tell your mom you had a bad day at work and it may have seemed that she thought you were pissed at her. If you had wanted the shake that badly you would've drank it before you got on the phone.

• ?

Get your drivers license.

Long answer short: yes, she was petty. 

in one word, no.....................

You were on the phone while you were eating?

If I'd been your mother I'd have poured the milkshake over you AND your phone.

I'd say you're a rude young lady who thinks primarily of herself and your Mom put you in your place. She's okay in my book.

• Foofa

You're at a difficult age where you're technically a legal adult but are still very much dependent on your parents. It's a weird time in life when some of your impulses are telling you you don't need your parents in your life yet others are still childlike enough to want that security. This is normal. Unless you're here to say that your mother has a personality disorder and a long record of bizarre behavior this just sounds like maybe you've been a bit surly to these people and they're sick of it. I bet if you try to behave more maturely...this means emotions in check, not going off on people, not openly mooning over boys...they'll treat you as the more mature individual you're striving to be. 

First of all its not that big a deal, unless you make it a big deal.  Forget the stress everyone is going through because of the Cova Virus.  Forget, that you are not paying rent, so the responsibilities and the stress having to deal with more money going out then coming in.  You are so young, and have very little to worry about.  As you said, some co-workers are not as friendly, or helpful at work. I am 50 and have the same problem, but even with losing $250,000 and 5 homes I was renting out.  I was lucky to still have $250,000 in my retirement.  My problem was I was planning to retire at 45, and join the Peace Corp.  Your parents one or both are working 40-60 hours a week.  Paying all the bills.  And from time to time, more money goes out then comes in.  Which means they are putting more and more money on credit.  I have heard the average family 1-2 parents, and 2-4 kids, have added $6,000-$10,000 to debt they owe since the virus took over.  Your frustration is valid, as is your parents. What you are uses to, and what you have now, can be equal in stress, but your responsibilities things you have to pay for and your parents, are not the same. Rent or mortgage, utilities, cable, internet, food, any fun activities. You were rude. like we all are once in a while, we have a fight with our partner, or like you have a bad day at work, someone cuts us off in traffic, any number of things can happen, and normally we handle them ok.  but once in a while we lose our focus, and take out some anger out on someone who does not deserve it.  You did so with your mom.  Unfortunately, she also had a bad day, and did not react patently, like a parent, but more like another adult who was frustrated.  Remember, you are her child but you are not a child anymore. You can have a tantrum at 5,10 maybe even as old as 13 or 14.  But not 19.  If my brother or friend was snotty to me, I might be snotty back.  One of you, needs to let go of your hurt feelings, and say your sorry.  I think it should be you because not only does your mom deserve a pass more then you because she has 3X more stress to deal with then you do.  But also because your frustration over-reaction, rudeness, started this interaction.  It will show your mom, and parents, you are an equal to them as an adult.  But be careful, when you become, an equal adult, you will soon have to take on more responsibilities and pay more to live, and or go to college. 

Yes

You are using your parents! There is no reason they should be catering to you by taking you to and from work every day, it is taking money OUT of their pockets and time out of their days. I get that you don't have a license and that makes it more difficult to get around, however, there is no reason you can't cab it in/bus it home to work! If this is too much for you, then I really think you need to consider finding another job, one in which doesn't require you being there for 5am, this is something you should have thought about before accepting the job.

As for your Mom taking your milkshake? She was wrong! I feel she was drunk, and looking to pick a fight with you, in order to unleash her frustartions on you! One of my biggest pet peeves is when a person has to hide behind a bottle to attempt to reslove conflicts.

Both of you are in the wrong.

"I wanted that milkshake all week and was gonna buy it myself."

Then go do that.   No one is stopping you.

And apologize to your mother for having the maturity of a 13 year old.