? asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

How much are pennies from the 40s and 50s worth?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

One cent  Unless they are the led pennies used during the war.,

• 2 months ago

From whose currency? I still have some UK pennies drifting about from that era.

But perhaps you mean American pennies.

Do remember that this is an international forum.

• fuzzy
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Keep dragging a magnet thru them, I understand that war time steel ones are getting hard to find

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I have dozens of Pennies with Queen Victoria on them and a couple of Charles 3 not worth much

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Go to the library and see for yourself

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

why dont you go to the library and look them up , also learn about grading a coin .

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Ask my boyfriend. I dunno. 

Lv 6
    2 months ago

Depends on a number of things - the year, the mint mark, and the condition. Your average US cent from those years in circulated condition are worth little or nothing more than face value.

There are a few that bring a premium such as the 1955 double-die or the 1943 copper or the 1944 steel cent. These are worth much more than face value in any condition because of their scarcity.

There are a few other examples including off-center and wrong planchets. If you have something that appears "odd" or different than the ordinary, you should let someone who knows something about numismatics evaluate it for you.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Diddly, unless in mint condition. Then, about....10 cents?

• 2 months ago

Just over 1 cent.  In Canada, pennies cost 1, and 1/4 cents to make (which is why they were discontinued), so, they are worth a bit more than one cent because of the metal content.  Some WWII version ones might be worth a little more, but, not by all that much.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.