Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Who are some writers who broke all the rules?

Not breaking all the rules as in leading a futile coup d'état and then cutting your guts open or getting a stabby guy out of jail, breaking the rules as in grammar, syntax and punctuation. I NOTICE HUBERT SELBY JR LIKED ALL CAPS AND NO PUNCTUATION TO PRETTY GOOD EFFECT 

Elvis, Bruce Lee, Michael Jackson,Randy Rhodes and I can keep going...  ouch  thx

Just a reminder that you can break the rules more effectively if you actually know what they are before you begin.

• Tina

First Dragon - fascinating as the idea of Evelyn Waugh writing "Random Acts of Senseless Violence" is, I think it's by Jack Womack.

• ?

David Icke.

He used the power of writing to write in a book that Richard Warman was a Jewish Zionist Satanist that sacrificed and ate babies.

"Warman sued David Icke[40] for libel, following the publication of Icke's book Children of the Matrix. Warman also sued the publishers and some distributors of the book. Warman requested that the Thompson-Nicola Regional District Library remove the book from its collection. Fearing litigation, the library complied with the request. British Columbia Library Association member Ann Curry commented that "in the Warman case, libraries had to comply with Warman's request or possibly face liability2. In 2004, the British Columbia government passed legislation to protect libraries from defamation suits if they distribute materials that can be considered defamatory.[41] The lawsuit was settled in 2015 when Icke paid $210,000 in damages and legal costs and agreed to "immediately cease any further distribution of Children of the Matrix and remove the defamatory material from any future editions".[42] Warman said: "This settlement exposes Icke's argument that no one had ever sued him because his allegations were true as nothing more than a fallacy". He added, "My reputation has been entirely vindicated. David Icke’s attacks against me were disgraceful and beyond the pale but he’s paid a heavy price for them and I trust this will never happen again".[42]".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Warman .

Quite a few, some already named.

Lewis Carroll is up there with James Joyce for the needlessly long sentences that could/should have been two, three, five, eight...

Add to the list Cormac McCarthy, who doesn't use quotation marks for dialogue. My first attempts to read him found this maddening, but after so many people insisted I try The Road one more time, I came to--well, not approve so much as accept his eccentricity because the power of his writing made it trivial.

George R.R. Martin raised the bar for what characters survive the plot because the reader likes them. No one expected the death of Eddard, who'd been drawn as a strong and sympathetic character. It's the equivalent of Tolkein killing Samwise--which he didn't do, of course.

James Joyce:  Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo....  His Ulysses has a section of a couple of thousand words and just two full stops and one comma.

Others like Samuel Beckett. e e cummings, Getrude Stein, Cormac McCarthy - even Terry Pratchett who famously didn't write in chapters.

But it is nothing new - Laurence Sterne in the 18th century broke the rules -  he had his endpapers in the middle of the The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy. 

Do you know e e cummings?  Well known for not using capitals.

Now, in a different way, there is Evelyn Waugh's "Random Acts of Senseless Violence."  He uses capitals okay, but he greatly changes the English language from the beginning chapter to the end, as civilization deteriorates.  

e. e. cummings, for one