Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

What would happen if rules were taken out of a UFC match?

Back in the day you could headbutt in MMA competition and strike the groin (although most wore a cup). They wore no gloves. Fedor Emelianenko says MMA gloves make it easier to knock someone out than boxing gloves, meaning having no gloves would be even easier.

Back then, sometimes there were no rules but usually you couldn't bite and gouge the eyes. What would happen if ALL rules were taken out of an MMA fight?Seems far fetched but they used to do this in the U.S. in the South and it was called "Gouging" or "Rough and Tumble." They would gouge out eyes, bite off ears and noses, and rip testacles. Yet, they also mention wrestling and boxing were important.

I guess that is the closest thing to what an MMA fight would look like with no rules. Interesting note, they used to file their fingernails and teeth to a point when participating in rough and tumble matches.

I guess society has moved on from that, thankfully. Just an interesting observation. I think fighting would look totally different if these things were allowed, although basic skills like striking and grappling would still be important. 

Favorite Answer

There were always rules even back in early  ufc, there was no biting or eye gauging or any type of gauging. And the early ufc's the fighters were hand picked by the gracie's so they could market bjj. 

If you want to see a mixed style without rules geared for street survival look up sanuces ryu created back in the 60's by Moses powers, or vee-jutsu created back in the 40's by  Florendo Visitacion. 

There were no rules when they created there styles both of them are considered the pioneers in martial arts in America.

fighters career span would be drastically shorter, and the UFC would be in massive decline 

• Before additional rules were added. More blood, broken bones, some serious injuries.

It wouldn't be sanctioned in the state. Keep in mind there is no way whatsoever that an MMA fight would resemble 100% of what a street fight would look like because in a street fight it is the prerogative of the person that's winning to accept a knockout as the end of the fight or to accept the tap out at the end of the fight. In a street fight there's a reason why the police will stop you because these are unsanctionables that can lead to someone being killed maimed or permanently disfigured

• Bill

Then you would have deaths and bad injuries.   You strike someone in the adam's apple and it can swell and kill them.   If eye gouges were allowed you can blind opponents.   I was under the impression you can't target the Carotid Sinus because that can kill.   But there is no rule against it because with ducking weaving etc it can naturally happen so there is no way to enforce it.  So even under normal rules there's a chance, fortuneately small, of killing your opponent.   I was also under the impression you were not allowed to cup your hand and smack the ear to break the eardrum of your opponent which is very painful, disorienting, and can leave you at least temporarily without loss of hearing in the ear.   But evidently you can.   One guy told me his opponent came out and that was the first thing he did.   It was a horrid experience, but he still won.   The rules are there for a reason, and even then it is still dangerous to fight.   But the problem is if you actually want to win a real fight you have to practice real fighting, so you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't.   The rules in MMA are there to allow as realistic an actual fight without overly dangerous risk.   I studied Tai Chi as a Martial Art before my arthritis stopped me and was told if you actually want to use it in a real fight you must practice against a resisting opponent.   If you want to do that, still continue with Tai Chi because it has a lot of other benefits such as inner calm etc, but also take some MMA.   That had no interest for me at all, although some other styles including MMA practitioners would come along to our push hands sessions - it ptometed sensitivity to your opponents moves. 

Take in mind that Michael Bisping is "permanently blind in one eye" because his opponent Vitor Belfort, took PEDs and kicked him incredibly hard in the eye. There would be more terrible injuries like this one if there were "no rules" in MMA.

• I never knew there were rules in UFC.  

"Not quite right. Knockouts are more likely because of gloves. Gloves protect the fist enabling people to punch harder. Without gloves headshots are rare because the skull is strong and the fist is relatively fragile."

That's what I've read to but according to Fedor, in his book, he says the opposite. And I am assuming he would know having first hand knowledge. Legendary knockout artist Igor Vovchanchyn says the same thing, you achieve your results much quicker without gloves. Makes sense in my opinon, your knuckles and can do way more damage and the concentration of power is focused more without gloves. Can you break a hand, sure. Igor V. never did (he broke bones in his forearm though from punching so hard, but that was only once out of like a 100 fights. 

"Fedor Emelianenko says MMA gloves make it easier to knock someone out than boxing gloves, meaning having no gloves would be even easier."

Not quite right. Knockouts are more likely because of gloves. Gloves protect the fist enabling people to punch harder. Without gloves headshots are rare because the skull is strong and the fist is relatively fragile. Go for a headshot and break the bones in your hand you are going to have a very short fight.