Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

What's a good ideal weight for a man in his 40's and is 6'3"?

Hi. This is a serious question. I'm concerned about my personal physical health. I'm interested in getting my health together and I am curious about this.

I'm about 270 lbs. What's a good ideal weight to be?

I didn't think to ask my physician this when I saw him on my last appointment with him.

Please help. Thank you.

You should be about 200 pounds. You are way overweight.

190 pounds. Thats what my dad weighed and he was in great shape

A great weight would be 220 pounds

• Bryce

You are obese.  170 to 190 lbs is in the normal weight range for you.

• ?

There is no "ideal" weight.  You have to take into account your body composition and was as specific health issue or markers.  A BMI range is actually still one reasonable data point.  A body weight with a BMI of 18-24 is consider to be in a health weight range.  Your current BMI is 34, which puts your in the obese category.  That means that you are much more likely to have medical issues including Alzheimers, arthritis, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Metabolic Syndrome, fatty liver, sleep apnea, and stroke.  

You'd be wise to work on getting your body weight below 200 pounds and getting your body fat percentage below 20%.  That and getting your waist measurement under 38 will increase your overall health markers.

What you eat is also important. Our bodies can't burn stored fat if we are providing it with easy to use fuel from other sources including alcohol, carbohydrates, and fats.  If you eat a typical diet, even if you are in a calorie deficit, it is likely that you'll just be burning the fuel you consume -- and m maybe even storing some.

Consider finding a keto diet -- put don't go overboard with the fat.  You focus should be protein. Also start workout out -- both cardio and weight training.  this is how your'll increase your muscle mass and decrease your body fat.  

BMI (Body Mass Index) has been debunked.  I'm 46 and 6'2" tall, and by there math I should be between 144 and 194.  A 144-lbs?  I would look anorexic!  Go with what you feel comfortable carrying around.  For me, it would be between 220-240.  

• ?

An ideal weight would be about 210 pounds.