Should we stop using the terms sir or ma'am to address people we don't know?

I'm a cis gay and I don't like being called "sir" so much because it usually means the other person has assumed what gender I am.  

i think to make it easier u could use ma’am or sir to people who look really feminine or really masculine so u probably dont mess it up. otherwise use a gender neutral word for it. idk what word that is tho

also why can i not comment anymroe. i am replying to this other person, cis does not kean sttaightt. cis is a short word for cisgendrr.

Source(s): i get very uncomfortable from ma’am or miss and id like it if someone would call me sir, i dont reallt like a gender neutral one for me but ig id like it a lot more than ma’am... ah idk anymore

First of all, “cis gay”? Cis means straight. 

You probably meant cisgender (which means a straight, non-transgender person), which just means you’re not gay.

Also, I think we should stop using sir or ma’am! :)

• Lili

No.  It's just a politeness, a courtesy. We have to call them something, so what else would you suggest?

If you look male, why shouldn't someone call you "Sir"? And do you really have to nitpick what is a mere politeness, whining that it represents an assumption? What do you care what some stranger is thinking anyway?

I hope you're merely a troll. Otherwise, this "question" is rather ridiculous.

Yes, we should say "mix" (for Mx) for everyone, although it needs to catch on first.

Most of the English-speaking world was brought up to use "Sir" and "Ma'am" or "Madam" to address people we don't know, as a form of politeness.

If you can come up with a gender-neutral form of address (Madsir? Sirmad? Sirdam? Masiram?) that the world is happy to adopt, please make it known.

Otherwise, yes, we DO have to "assume" a gender when we meet someone we don't know. Sometimes our guess will be wrong. Will that kill you? Of course not.

It's the polite thing!                                    

• reme_1

I thought cis meant a straight  person without any issues with gender.

Yeah, sure. Personally, as the nonbinary teen that I am, I think that would be great. 

I actually think it's polite to use "Sir" or "Mam" when addressing someone you don't know. 

Well, and I often get called "ma'am", or "mrs", instead of "miss"! Even though I'm not married! But.. I'm at an age where most people are married, and people say that because apparently it's seen as more impolite to say "miss", and be wrong about it, than it is to say "mrs", and be wrong about THAT. Which, am I giving even the SLIGHTEST damn about it..? NO! There are far more important things to worry about in life!

Same with you... How about a nice, big piece of "GTF over yourself" cake? You're just once again proving how ABSURD extreme SJW ideology / trans activism really is! F*cking first world problems, if I ever saw it demonstrated!

Biological sex is real! Male and female are real f*cking categories! And most people..? Are fine with their biological sex, and being called by sexed pronouns! And as for the SMALL minority of people that are not? Because they're trans, or they otherwise feel uncomfortable with it? I'm sure they're able to speak for themselves, and kindly ask people to please call them by their preferred names and pronouns, without ridiculous social justice warriors interfering! And also..? It's really not fair to let such a SMALL minority of people dictate what language and words we ALL should use! ESPECIALLY, especially..? If you see this from a gender critical feminist perspective! Which just so happens to be my perspective. Why is females being able to talk about our lived biological reality suddenly NO concern at all, (and even deemed transphobic and "oppressive", by people like you), because trans identifying males are suddenly SO much more important?? It is f*cking bullsh*t! It's as if feminism never f*cking happened! Due to some dysphoric dudes' fragile f*cking gender feelings!

..Angry answer, I know. But this kind of bullsh*t has been getting me really angry, as of lately.