Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Are they really Vegan.. name one which you think is a fake?

I can understand being plant based (consuming food that doesn't involve animals)... but when someone claims that they are vegan, I think that is a complicated title to have when the furniture and clothes they wear is not vegan and the vaccines they inject themselves with have pig, chick, and fetal cells.  I don't know how many popular Youtubers state they are "vegan" and they really aren't.  Plant based... yes.  Vegan... no.  I've tried to explain myself to several of them and they automatically feel personally attacked.  I'm just stating a fact.  You are either all in... or not at all.  There is no such thing as a half Vegan.  So many claim to be one and they are making money by fooling people.          

Update:

Definition of  Vegan... : a strict vegetarian who consumes no food (such as meat, eggs, or dairy products) that comes from animals.  Also, one who abstains from using animal products (such as leather).

It's not just food.  A vegan can't wear or consume ANY ANIMAL PRODUCTS.  We can't change it just to fit our needs.  Either you wear or consume animals or you do not.  About vaccines, it's okay to kill animals and use them for vaccines, but it's not okay to kill them and consume? Murder is murder 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Being Vegan is a Life Choice YOU undertake. It is NOT trying to push YOUR preference upon others. 

• Louis
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You got some good answers. Some of the good answers are even from non-vegans. 

As a vegan, I would like to point out that vegans (for the most part) realize that being a perfect vegan is near impossible. 

the definition of vegan includes the phrase " as far as practical or possible". so being vegan does not mean you have to be perfect. Just pretty good. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

This kinda thinking could easily lead toward OCD issues z

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• 2 months ago

vegans do as much as they can. If they were as rabid as you seem to think they should be, they wouldn't be driving a car or using a computer either...or many many other items as many incorporate animal by products or slaughter animals willy nilly in daily use.  Can't bathe, it kills bacteria, which are living entities, cannot drive in the country because of all the bugs that die on the front of the vehicle. Can't use or read vintage books because the binding glue is animal based, can't eat most produce since animals are killed in the plowing planting and harvesting of said produce...cannot use product because the storage buildings have traps and poison to reduce and eliminate rodent activity... the list goes on and on

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan first off. However MOST vegans consider vaccines as a means of doing the least harm possible, and benefitting as many other  people as possible. Which falls within beliefs of vegans. Which that part of veganism was taken or adapted from the Jainism, principle of Ahimsa. Granted some vegans really overdo things and some are in the anti-vaxxer crowd, which consists of vegetarians, vegans and non vegetarians. The only difference in many cases is that animals were or are used to create vaccines and other medicines, and even a great many animals has benefitted from as well.

As for those vegans who have leather, woolen, and silk items, as correctly pointed out, often predates their adopting becoming a vegan. I remember one post, where a vegan suggested replacing the leather band of an expensive watch, with a metal or cloth band, and gifting the expensive leather band, to someone who would be able to use it, and maybe even appreciate such a leather band.  The self righteous types though see it as an opportunity to preach, proselytize, and berate all who doesn't believe as they believe. They're the radical faction that's placed themselves of a pedestal of wet packed sand, that will quickly crumble in due time. Those who do so, are self sanctified and has become the self anointed saviors having both the wisdom and knowledge, to guide the rest into their idealistic Utopian world. A world that simply can not exist in this temporal material universal continuum. Of course I see this equally among those of us whose diets also contains meat, and other animal byproducts.

• 2 months ago

I'm not sure why you think it's your role to police the vegan community, nor why you care so much.

If someone identifies as vegan and happens to get a vaccine that was made with some animal products, whatever... Who cares? 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Personally I don't wear leather and my furniture is cloth. Not that it is anybody else's business!

You post this anonymously and don't include what effect it has on your life. Why does this matter so much to you?

• 2 months ago

Using animals for food, clothing and vaccines is not murder.

Murder is the illegal killing of ANOTHER HUMAN.

As far as clothing and furniture..  They may be second hand items, gifts, or items they had before making lifestyle changes.   It would be irrational to throw those items away and buy all brand new things...   Burning a leather couch wont bring that cow back to life- now will it?

As far as vaccines..  Protecting your health and the health of others around you is far more important.

• 2 months ago

No-one's injecting themselves; but generally it's agreed that vaccines are more beneficial than harmful to the planet, and it would be unreasonable of vegans to put themselves and the community in harm's way by reducing general immunity.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

“Plant based” means based on plants, not exclusively  consisting of plants. It's a fairly meaningless phrase as most people have a diet that's based on plants, obviously though there are other things in it that are not plants. It's like if you ask for a gin based cocktail, you won't get neat gin, there will be other things added to it. If you base a story on a fairy tale you don't just use the fairy tale word for word, you have to add other things.

A “vegan” is a person who chooses to follow a diet that includes no animal products at all. They will almost certainly avoid things like leather, silk and wool too. Essentially though, the term describes a person's diet. This will come as a shock but it's not up to you (or any other person or small group of people) to redefine words that have existed for many decades.

If a vegan described themselves as following a “plant based diet” the obvious thing to ask would be, What else is in it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.