R&P- Is there an album you enjoy celebrating its 40th anniversary this year?

BQ. What is you top three tracks from the album?

Harve, with notes like that, how can anyone not be a fan (or new fan). Say, are you associated with the music industry professionally at all?

Hi John! Please don't do that, i'm vegan :)

Happy Christmas Bro Jest!

Favorite Answer

First one that comes to mind is Bootsy Collins's "Ultra Wave" album. Fave tracks (listed in order of appearance): "Mug Push," "Sacred Flower," "Sound Crack."

Released on November 12, 1980.

It was a very interesting year for music. Things were in flux, lots of fresh, creative ideas around, from older as well as younger artists. I could have listed a lot of different favorite albums.

• vtd288

"Los Angeles" - X

BA :

"The World's a Mess, It's in My Kiss"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ey5agy1blc

Youtube thumbnail

"Johny Hit and Run Paulene"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUeKoz4A3dQ

Youtube thumbnail

"Los Angeles"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUiZHt6sqg4

Youtube thumbnail

First of all I will say good to hear from you again.

Your return is like the 'Prodigal Son' or indeed the 'Second Coming'(calm down John)

I know I for one slaughtered a fatted calf in you honour.

Anyway, my answer is 'Closer' by Joy Division.(Sept 1980)

Top 3 tracks. 'Isolation' 'Atrocity Exhibition' and the best & final track 'Decades'.

It is also 40 years since Ian Curtis died(May 1980).

A mural was unveiled of him in Manchester on World Mental Health Day this year.

I took the short pilgrimage from my house to see it in the flesh.(so to speak)

I was not disappointed. 

• ?

'Stray Cats'. BQ: Rock This Town, Stray Cat Strut, Ubangi Stomp. Their latest album is named "40".

• Huh?

David Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)

Standout tracks:

Ashes to Ashes (one of my top 5 singles ever)

Fashion

Teenage Wildlife

My criteria was it had to be albums I bought that year. Not discovered later. Three albums stood out. Pete Townshend "Empty Glass", David Bowie "Scary Monsters" and Jeff Beck "There and Back" 

I’m picking the Beck album, though the others are solid. 

All instrumental and that year he toured. First time I saw Jeff Beck live and it was at a local venue a mile from where I live now.

"Star Cycle"

"The Pump"

"El Becko"

'Permanent Waves' - Rush

BA: "The Spirit of Radio"... This song talks about comparing musical sincerity to the illusion of integrity that fame can create. Everything about this song is excellent, from the riff-filled intro to the chorus midsection and even the end's soft-section. It also contains one of my favourite Rush lines: "All this machinery making modern music can still be openhearted."

"Freewill"... This track features some of Geddy's best vocals and a memorable solo by Alex. Lyrically, it's about the freedom of choice and its multiple consequences. Another priceless line can be found here: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." 

"Natural Science"... This track is about the views of society from afar. Rush has written many long epics, but in my opinion, they peaked here as far as creativity goes. It starts with the sound of a calm ocean tide followed by an acoustic section. Not long thereafter, it breaks into an all-out hard rocker, filled with frantic bass-lines, guitar riffs, frantic drumming, and effective vocals. It splits into several different time-signature changing sections and then finally ending with the sound of a full ocean tide. Not as long as Cygnus X-1 or 2112, but still one of Rush's finest moments of their entire career. 

Sandinista- The Clash

Laughter- Ian Dury

Musical Shapes- Carlene Carter

Lots of good ones that year, but I have to give my nod to John Lennon's "Double Fantasy", as it was released just about exactly 40 yrs. ago, & he was murdered 40 yrs. ago as of 8 Dec.  It was a black day for the world. 

I like best, in no order:

"Starting Over."

"Woman" 

"Watching The Wheels."