Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 2 months ago

Can the British monarch be Jewish or Muslim?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Must be Church of England. 

• 2 months ago

NO!!! Because by Act of Parliament, they must be Anglican Christian. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. The title ' Fidei defensor' was bestowed by the Pope on Henry VIII in 1521and subsequently removed when Henry was excommunicated. The present usage (Defender of the Faith) was granted by the English Parliament in 1544. The Prince of Wales has indicated that the present form of the title is not incompatible with defending other faiths, so he is unlikely to change it.

• 2 months ago

@Sir Prince Kenny II - You're right that the British monarch must be Anglican, but the title 'Defender of the Faith' was bestowed by the Pope on Henry VIII in 1521.

Edit: @Anonymous - I stand corrected, I never knew it was revoked...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Clo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

By law, the British monarch is required to uphold the Protestant succession, be Church of England/Anglican.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, as the monarch is governor of the Church of England, and is crowned in a religious ceremony in Westminster Abbey by the Archbishop of Canterbury.   

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ha Ha Ha Not in a Billion Years

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Although not been an expert I assumed the Sovereign must be Church of England. Anglican.

• Rico
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The monarch could by ethnicity be Jewish, but not by religious affiliation. The monarch must be religiously affiliated with the Church of England as the Supreme Governorship of the church is always held by the monarch, according to law. 

@Anoymous. George’s I and II (two distinct people) were both born and raised as Lutheran)

• 2 months ago

No. They can't even be Catholic

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.