Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Weird car lien. ?

I sold my car back in March to a junkyard where they come and tow your car. I have sent them the title and everything. Just recently I started getting letters stating that their is a lien on the car and that I owe money. I also am getting letters from the DMV stating that I owe because my registration hasn't been paid. I messed up by not doing a release of liability. I'm in the state of California. What do I do? 

What do you do? Cry and stamp your feet because you were a dumbass, and then go pay the bills you owe. EPIC FAIL. IGNORANCE ISN'T A VALID EXCUSE.

Are the letters from the junkyard?  They may have done that by mistake as a lot of their cars they have to do that before they can get titles to abandoned cars.

Do the release of liability and back date it and hope that takes care of it.

I would not worry about the supposed lien.

Until the Release of Liability is filed YOU are responsible.  Maybe someone took out a title loan.  Maybe something else happened.

I'd start by filing the Release, calling the junkyard, notifying DMV and sending them copies of the paperwork.

You can do the release of liability at any time and it's back dated to when you sold the car.

I traded a car in in Oct 2019.  The dealer never transferred the car.  I got a no insurance notice after about 2 or 3 months.  I did the release of liability notice then and never had any other troubles. 

(I'm in CA also).

• ?

If there was no lien on the car when you sold it to the junkyard, perhaps someone fraudulently borrowed money under your name and using the car as collateral after you sold it.  Call the DMV and see what they say to do.  Also call whoever is sending you letters demanding payment and ask about the lien.    

That's not a weird lien, it's just a lien.  Pay off what you owe, get a release of interest from the lienholder, and you're done with it.

• ?

Was there a lien on the vehicle?  Did it show a lien holder on the title?   If there was no lien it could just be a screw up. 

As for the registration, Did you send a "release of liability" to the DMV as you are required to do when you sell a vehicle? 

If you didn't and if the junk yard hasn't sent the title to the DMV as they are required to do, the DMV probably still has you listed as the owner and still registered to you.  I would try to see if the junk yard re-sold the vehicle.  They are NOT supposed to do that but I have found that many do so.  When I junk a car, I write "JUNKED" in large bold letters across the front of the title so that the junk yard cannot re-sell the vehicle.

I suggest going to the DMV and explain things.  If they can't solve your problem, They should offer advice.

OR................. Did the letter come from the junk yard?

First move out of the cesspool called California.