Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Do you still have to apologize if they likely won't accept it?

I'm the only one that wronged my brother's fiancee. Too much happened and at this moment an apologize isn't going to fix it, much less overnight.

It's unlikely she'll accept it at this moment so not sure if it's worth it. I'm too embarrassed and ashamed about it. It caused my own brother to nearly take me off the wedding invitation; she talked him out of doing that. I wanted to apologize before but didn't.

Is it worth apologizing if there is a high chance they won't accept it? Or can I just show my change through actions?

It is appropriate for you to meet with his fiance one on one and not only apologise but ADMIT WHAT YOU'VE DONE WRONG and thank her for making sure you are invited to the wedding. 

Tell her that you have thought this over and you hope that your relationship in future can be better for both of you.

Sure, I know that you're ashamed but grow up and do it anyway.

Take your blame for what you've done wrong and say you are sorry.

You have NOTHING to lose and everything to gain.

Yes. Just because they might reject your apology doesn't mean you shouldn't make the effort. Apologize and be better. 

• Foofa

Just tell her you understand if right now she can't forgive you, but that you needed to apologize for your own sanity. 

Take your powers of predicting the future on the road and make millions to buy back her forgiveness.  Or if you lack the ability to see into the future, admit you don't know that your brother's fiancé won't forgive you if you apologize.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

No, it's not all right.  Words matter.  Saying that you were responsible for something you now regret helps others understand how you feel and helps build your own character.

• Jerry

That's the reason you apologize? To secure forgiveness? Not from a sense of remorse, a desire to atone and make restitution, an opportunity to EARN forgiveness? No wonder people don't take your apologies seriously. 

It's not about convincing - persuading - manipulating others into regarding you differently. It's about your own desire and willingness to make personal changes and be a better person.