Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

I've Been Caught for no Insurance! Within 2 years Questions?

So I've been caught for no insurance but the incident happened over 5 months ago I was on my way to the MOT centre and forgot to insure my bike! I was a month under my 2 year disqualication period I ended up crashing the bike and I've only just heard back now! This would be my first Driving Offence!

1. Can they still charge me?

2. If I'm now over the 2 year period will I still loose my licence? 

3. What is the penalty likely to be?

Sorry, I haven't worded this very well😂 I've never been banned before but in the UK there's a 2 year probation period from when you get your licence, if you receive over 6 points in 2 years your licence is revoked 

The issue occurred while I was on the way to The MOT centre I was going to be late for the book in and forgot to insure the vehicle before I left. I wasn't driving while I was band that's stupid. 

1. Yes.

2. Yes

3. The maximum prescribed by the law for a repeat offender.

.

EPIC FAIL

Did you know how to correctly spell loose?  L O S E.

• ?

My crystal ball is broken.  I suggest that you wait to see what may happen

1) Yes they can still charge you.

2) That's up to the judge, who isn't here right now.

3)  Doesn't matter what the penalty is likely to be.  You'll be given written confirmation of what the penalty actually is.

according to your question ..you were riding your motorbike to get an mot ..so you had no insurance and no mot ..and you were driving while banned ..riding a month before end of ban ..and you say this is your first offence ?   why were you banned ? ..the police have up to 6 months to issue a fixed penalty ...having read your add on ...if they give you a fixed penalty fine ..£300 + SIX POINTS ..thats standard ..then you will lose your licence and although you might not be banned you will need to go back to L plates and retake your test ..your insurance cost will cripple you 

• Ron

Stupid is as stupid does

WHERE?  This is an International site.

1 - Yes;

2 - There is no way to know without knowing WHERE.  In my State. the suspension is automatic for six months from the day of the suspension; and

3 - A very hefty fine AND your insurance cost going forward will go up tremendously.

Yes. They can still take action. But if six months passes since there was sufficient evidence to charge you then a lawyer should be able to get the criminal charges dismissed. Police will still be able to impose a £300 fixed penalty and six penalty points if the case does not go to Court. You’ll also face another six points for riding whilst banned.

You probably will lose your licence again: for the lack of insurance and for riding whilst you were still disqualified as it takes you to twelve points. The riding whilst suspended is far more serious: up to six months imprisonment and up to a £5000 fine. Both unlikely if it’s your first time.

Likely penalty on top of the ban will be a large fine. They can be unlimited for no insurance.

What the Court does is almost your least worry. Insurers have a zero tolerance of uninsured motorcyclists and car drivers because when they crash like you did it tends to cost them a lot. So they simply avoid the risk by refusing to cover you at any price whether on two or four wheels. That could last at least six years and then be very expensive after that.

You’re probably going to be doing a lot of walking, running and cycling for the next few years, but on the bright side you’ll also be saving a fortune.

BTW: until they’re made road legal DO NOT be tempted to use an electric scooter in the UK and if you get an electric-assist bicycle make certain that it cannot be used without pedalling and does not exceed 250W motor power rating. If stopped you’ll face convictions for no licence, no insurance, no registration, and possibly with using a motor vehicle which does not comply with UK law. That would result in more fines and an even longer ban.