Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

if I have mostly C's in college could I get a job in my major ?

as long as I get my degree and earn an A in my major, I should be ok right

idk.  Depends on you and how your resume reads. Listing your overall GPA would bring you down.

Employers are generally looking for proven performers. For a new grad, all they have to go by (unless you worked your way through school & have employer recommendations) is really your grades. New/recent Bachelor's degree holders are, in most fields, a glut on most job markets, and you have to compete for a job. You need to prove you can actually do something for a prospective employer which is worth paying for. And that's hard to do for mediocre students.

Although your chances are reduced somewhat, you'd still have a chance.

• drip

How can you have mostly C’s and still have all A’s in classes for your major? 

If your resume is well written and you interview well, it could over come a low GPA.

After your first job, an employer is not going to ask you your university GPA. 

You first job interviews may ask you if it is not listed. With a low GPA don’t list it on your resume, you may find no one asks you. 

That depends on your major and what kind of jobs you're looking for. Employers are often looking for more than just basic knowledge of one field. They value good communication skills, for one thing- which is reflected in your grades in English and humanities classes. They are also looking for people who can learn quickly, since things in every field are changing rapidly these days.

It probably doesn't depend on your specific major and the field you'll go into. In the U.S., very few employers ask for your GPA unless it is in an engineering field.  Experts don't advise putting your GPA on your resume either -- unless you've earn a distinction like summa or magna.

Most employers hire skills, knowledge and attitude.  Some may look at GPA to estimate how well a candidate has mastered the content of the courses they took to get the knowledge and skills.

• ?

It might depend on your major. In computer science, you get jobs by taking tests in coding that are timed. So if you’re bad at coding, it’s more difficult to get a job.  Many C students were lazy.