Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is intelligence highly correlated with how much time someone spends reading/learning/researching?

I feel like it is. Knowledge is power. Knowledge can be gained in large amounts when spent on a computer. The internet is basically a library of information. People who don't use a computer or a smart phone on a daily basis are less likely to be intelligent

For example, someone who is constantly reading articles and information on google, wikipedia, engaging in forum discussions, etc on the internet is probably a heck of a lot smarter than someone who spends 12 hours a day driving a truck and then goes to bed and repeats his entire life.

"Smart" and "stupid" are stereotypes. Intelligence is often perceived based on one's behavior and difficult to measure because it doesn't actually exist in a physical sense. Who's intelligent and who isn't is essentially a matter of personal opinion.

You'd have to define your version of intelligence. We're all intelligent in our own way.  We're all idiots in one form or another. Nobody knows it all. Nobody is intelligent at all times in all contexts. Someone who spends 12 hours a day driving a truck probably knows a lot about it. One could argue they're intelligent when it comes to truck driving.

Actually, no. A lot of stupid people can do research, or read.  Intelligence is more correlated with how you deal with your universe--how you reason--how you adapt and how you assimilate the knowledge you DO accumulate. The amount of research, reading or education you get has very little to do with that. 

I think it's about interest in a subject.

Interest will be automatic attention constantly paid towards a subject... so that might not necessarily involve reading by itself although - perhaps I've had so much interest in certain subjects that I didn't notice how often I've read about them - and I HATE reading.

Just because somebody is on their computer or smartphone does NOT mean they are intelligent, or learning, researching, etc. Depends what they actually DO. Furthermore, people can go to a library to study, learn a foreign language, expand their horizons. But more intelligent people do focus on learning, researching, etc. Not just playing computer games or fooling around with social media.

Standard IQ is based upon several measurements like perceptual reasoning, speed of processing information, working memory and verbal comprehension. The skills you are talking about would not measure these four indices.

Source(s): I have a doctorate in psychology
  • ?

There are Plenty of hi IQ people who have ZERO internet or smart phone?access. There was NO INTERNET until The 1990s. Are you saying that any one who went to college and graduated twice once?with honors BEFOTE 1990 cannot possibly have a high IQ or be intelligent because there?was no internet or smart phones. I still do not have smart phone, but I am usin3.6 gigabytes of data on my cell phone which I have had for less than 6 months. My composite?GRE score in Januaryv1980 was 1330. I qualify to test for Mensa membership. I survived graduate school.and graduated.  

It is NOT true if you fail graduate level course you get.k8vked it. I have failed online graduate level courses. I retook some of those courss and did?well, but I decidedctonleave the degree program.

One of my father's graduate students took his parasitology course. 7 times?and flunked it 7 times at Tulane. Greyhound that would not be tolerated today. There is?strict limit to how many times you can retake courses. 

Speaking from opinion, I do believe there’s a connection between intelligence and being engaged in research and learning. However, you may be looking at it in reverse.

People with high intelligence pursue research, reading and learning.  It’s a natural thing.  Personally speaking, I spend far more time watching lectures than I do sports, for example.It’s not always true that if someone does a lot of reading they will definitely become more intelligent.  More educated, probably, but intelligence doesn’t really fluctuate that much.

Be wary of assuming everything you read is truthful.

It's not unknown for example Wikipedia to be hacked and information to be "corrected". Or for those who have the right to write, not to be biased, playing a long term game to sway public opinion in the direction they want!

It's also not unknown for tech companies to suppress knowledge it would rather was not circulated at an inopportune moment! To ensure the candidate they want wins. They can censor, manipulate, the information so you come to the conclusion they desire!

So you're basically saying those who need practical experience of dissection and surgery are "dumb" if they carry it out in real life, to get the feel of it, as opposed to role playing on the screen?

Intelligence has more to do with innate curiosity, an inquiring mind, an inability to be satisfied seeing everything as mundane. Making connections other people don't even see. Always hungry, always seeking, always in need of a nourishing challenge.

For example 2 people observe the same event. One forms no conclusions. The other observer notes that flying ants when newly hatched are rowdy, boisterous, active, fearless. That the more they have access to water and food, they more they breed. Exposed to tea tree oil, they tend to dislike its pleasant smell, and try to shun its sphere of influence. However as soon the tea tree oil odour starts to fade they return with a vengeance.

Without questioning what you read, measure against real life experience, propaganda can be viewed as "knowledge".

Professor Brian Cox said he was obsessive about completing things. Whilst most get bored and just give up. For some it's their nature not to able to let go, until they nailed it.

Some people enjoy acquiring new experiences, exposing themselves to novel ideas, sussing out themselves where they may or may not lead.

Intelligence you possess! It's yours! You own it!

Knowledge is what you acquire over a lifetime. As a child knowledge is what others deem is necessary for you to "acquire". 

For those who are intelligent, they can work out for themselves what is for them the definition of knowledge, what for them is actually useful, essential.

In simple terms knowledge is the car. Intelligence is the driver!

Came across this - his story illustrates the combination of intelligence and knowledge!

https://youtu.be/OaG92TG2skI

Youtube thumbnail

Ah let's be clear...educated and intelligent are not the same horse.  People can be brilliant, intelligent, and never have gone to school let alone own a computer.  And on the flip people can hold advanced degrees, educated, and be as dumb as a rock.

One of the dumbest people I ever got to know well was a PhD from the U. of Mississippi.  His logic was so faulty that one of my fellow students asked him in class one day "Professor how'd you get your doctorate?"  

His answer made sense...it was "I just kept going back until I passed the courses."  He repeated the courses that he failed.  That couldn't have happened in most universities because once you fail a course at the graduate level you're out.  Apparently not so at U of M.

But you are right; most intelligent people are knowledge hungry.  So they tend to read and research a lot.

• ?

Intelligence and knowledge are two different things, although people with intelligence find it easier to learn new things and retain them. Intelligence is the capacity for learning. Someone with a high IQ can refuse to read or be exposed to new ideas, and have very little knowledge. A Truck driver can listen to books on tape, pay attention to the news, and have a great deal of knowledge. I know a truck driver who can converse knowledgeably on a wide range of topics. Don't judge people on their occupations. Yes, smart phones and computers have given us easier access to information, but there are still libraries and people who obtain knowledge other ways. Just using a smart phone doesn't make you intelligent or knowledgeable- especially if you spend all your time on Instagram.