Anonymous

how do I handle this?

the client I work for wants me to get tested weekly for covid but my company does not require us to get tested and it takes at least an hour to get tested by the place near my house and is 15-20 minute drive from me so I don't really want to get tested weekly for a part time job. how do I approach this? she knows my company can't make us take the tests but she asked me directly to be on the same page 

I doubt the company will go to those lengths to have us tested because they don't require it, this was a specific request by a client to go on my own time 

• John
    Favorite Answer

One of my accounting clients was doing work for a company which began to require corona virus tests on a weekly basis.  The company hired a mobile health clinic to go to my client's house (along with the other employee's and contractor's homes) for the tests.  The company pays for the tests, and paid my client $20 for each test as well.  That was a very generous arrangement, but perhaps you can convince your employer to do something similar.  At the minimum, you should be on the clock when going for the tests, and the employer should pay the clinic.

A Hunch, I meant my company isn't requiring us to do it. I know if they wanted to they could but that wasn't my point. But the company isn't asking us to do it, the client's parent is asking me to do it on my free time. 

How do you handle it?

One options is do it and keep your job.

Another option is ask your employer for one hour of additional pay so that you can do this and they keep the assignment.  If they say "no", option 1 is still available to you.

"she knows my company can't make us take the tests" If your employer is in the USA, they can require you to do this.