Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is it really true garlic, Onions, split peas, and lentils are bad for dogs? Is Oatmeal? How about the myth bread causes worms? ?

Worms hatch from larvae.  No larvae?  No worms.  No larvae in bread?  Therefore, no worms.

Onions - bad; garlic - bad; split peas I've heard good and bad; lentils I've heard good and bad.  Oatmeal I've never researched.

Feed your dog dog food. Human food is always a no-no. You can literally kill your dog by feeding them human food. Just get some kibble. I have 3 dogs and I love the hell out of them, but they are dogs, not human babies. Stick with the tried and true methods.

Peas (of any kind) and lentils can affect TAURINE absorption by dogs and a lack of taurine can cause congestive heart failure.  Onions & garlic are not recommended, but small amounts can be consumed, if a flavor is needed or a dog eats some stew with them in it.  You can GOOGLE onions or garlic (+dogs) and find the facts.  Oatmeal is not widely used in dog food, since dogs are CARNIVORES, not HERBIVORES and do not really need it.  It is a lower glycemic and higher FIBER carbohydrate and would be PREFERRED for dogs, over a HIGHER SUGAR (but cheaper) carb.  

Of course bread..... does not CAUSE worms in humans OR dogs!!!!!  (Don't be a DUNCE!)  Bread is usually made from highly processed and refined flour - with little nutritional value, and again is NOT needed by dogs............ AT ALL.