Should I feel guilty about taking vacation time from work?

I started my current job exactly one year ago. And on average, I work from 9am to 7pm, but sometimes longer if days get busy. Sometimes, it can get as hectic as working until midnight. The funny thing is, work never seems to slow down and even though I get three weeks of vacation time, I was unable to use them due to how busy the job is. Well considering that end of year is approaching and none of my vacation time was used, I need to use some of it. My job lets us carry over up to three weeks, so that means, I would have six weeks next year. So if I couldn't use any of the three weeks this year, I definitely don't see myself being able to taking the accumulated six weeks next year. So I asked my boss for next week off. That way, one week gets used up and I don't accumulate too much next year. He said it was ok. But next week is looking to still be a little busy, with things only getting worse towards the end of December. So I feel guilty abandoning my duties for a full week, especially since I never took off once at this job since I started last year.

Is it wrong that I feel so guilty for using some of my vacation time?

Favorite Answer

Although it's not wrong to feel that way, it probably isn't healthy.  You're working very long days and if you don't use your vacation time, your life is all about work and not much else.  The work will still be there when you return.  Vacation time is important and you need a life outside of work, so grab it and don't feel guilty about it.  Your boss should figure out a way to get the work done while you're off.

• ?

Employers expect their employees to take vacation time off.  Next year you'll have 6-weeks.............take one week every other month.

• ?

So far, the reason why you need to work because you are needed. Do you think to ask your boss to give you checks covering your vacation in stead?

• Judy

You shouldn't feel guilty.  If your boss says ok, take it.

How your feel is how you feel.  It is neither right or wrong.  There is no implied obligation (should) when it coms to feelings.

If your employer approved your time off, then you don't need to feel guilty about taking the time.  If you like feeling guilty, then by all means feel guilty.  It won't help your co-workers or you.  

As a former manager of a couple of businesses and a retired owner of one, you've earned your vacation and should take it. As your supervisor has already approved it, enjoy yourself for a week and relax. I'd take at least one more week during next summer as well.

• You're heading into a busy time but if you feel you need a few days off, and they will allow it then take it. Every one needs a little time to recharge, relax and rest, or to get things done that you can't do on your spare time. Don't feel guilty about doing that, some one else can take care of your work for a few days and you shouldn't worry about work while you're off. 

• ?

Take your vacation and recharge your batteries (!) The company is responsible for the staffing problems, not you.

• Judith

If you earned the vacation time, you asked for it off and were approved then there is nothing to feel guilty about.

Some employers have a "use it or lose it" policy meaning that if you earn 3 weeks a year it won't roll over into the following year.  If you only use 2 of those 3 weeks then you've "lost" a week.

It isn't good not to use time off.  If you don't feel you can take a week off at a time then take one day a week off or two days a week.  I worked with a person who took every Friday off for 3 months.

we just don't care.