M asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Why do some working class people blame the rich for their struggles?

A woman I know has 3 kids (one of whom is autistic).  The husband works in construction, and the wife works as an administrative assistant.  They live off $75k.  They have a mortgage on their house (which keeps needing repairs), and they have many other expenses and demands on their time.  They're constantly busy and frazzled and never get a break.  

Recently, the wife posted a long rant on FB about how they struggle and never get a break, and how she hates seeing photos of nice houses, vacations, and hobbies when they don't have to work hard.  She blames those kinds of people for why they struggle so much.  I hear about a LOT of working class families having such a mindset.

My wife and I make a combined income of $400k (I'm an engineering director and my wife is a dermatologist).  We don't have kids, and we have plenty of time for leisure activities and plenty of money for vacations.

I understand that rich CEOs buy politicians who make laws that help other rich people and not working class families.  I get that.  But we are not THAT rich.  We have not done anything to screw over the working class.  We're allowed to have high income and enjoy our lives.  Just because most others can't live like this does not mean we can't.  Part of it is also choices.  They chose to have 3 kids.

Why do some people have such attitudes?  Is it jealousy?  Or something more?

Troi - I understand what white privilege is.  I am not white, neither is my wife.  The working class couple I'm talking about IS white.  So there goes your false assumption.

Anonymous - What part about my writing is "immature" and "simple".  And yes, $400k COMBINED for a doctor and engineering director is perfectly reasonable.  Show me actual evidence of the contrary.

Pat Wooden - I did not "blame" anyone in my description.  And yes, I understand there are barriers that keep poor people poor.  I made it VERY clear that I understand that.  But I did not put those barriers in place.  

Fireplace - Nevermind why I don't ask her.  I'm asking Y!A, and you did not provide an answer.

It is a coping mechanism to blame others for the frustrations one deals with in life. The wealthy (defined as anyone who has a higher standard of living than you) are just an easy target compared to taking responsibility for themselves.  Who knows, maybe you too blame wealthier (or more powerful) people when you are faced with adversity.

• ?

Class envy has long been a lever used by politicians to sow conflict within societies. 

• ?

I don't see how this woman being envious of other people's easier lives means she BLAMES them for her own misfortunes.

I also don't understand why you're making this so personal unless you're trying to impress us with your high joint income.

Some of it is basic stuff... an easy thing to do.

You know how they say the rich get richer? 

Yeah.

Once they're all the way up top things just seem to go right for them i.e. they have a lot of money and when you have a lot of money it seems to give you options to diversify and make - even more money.

The other way you could look at it is how a rich person isn't necessarily going to bail out a few people with their sheer financial prowess... just out of the kindness of their heart i.e. a new start for a few lucky individuals although obviously Oprah used to do that a lot. 

Since you know the woman why don't you ask HER?

edit: I think I can guess why you don't ask her directly. You are scared to do so. 

It's really the lack of understanding and compassion from the rich that bothers them.  Look at your post--you blame them because they "chose" to have three children.  fyi, no birth control is 100% effective, and some people have religious beliefs against abortion and birth control.  

You and your wife have jobs that require an expensive education, which poor people can't get.  You are being judgmental and showing a lack of understanding.  That's what hurts. 

I don't believe you. Your writing is too immature, too simple. And $400k for a doctor and director? Really? 

Sorry, but 400k a year vs. 75k a year does make you 'rich'.   And, being white certainly works in your favor.

Try as we might, most average 'working class" dont get those opportunities afforded white folk.  I am American born and raised, I went to college and got a degree in IT thinking a college education would open doors, but guess what

because my skin is brown and also a gay woman who doesnt conform to the image corporate WHITE str8

America is looking to hire.

So those who complain about folks, rich whites, who have it easy, know that they are in the 95 percentile of us who don't make a six figure salary but wish we could but cant because white America doesnt see it as systemic racisism therefore they sit in there mansions while the rest of us work our asses off just to survive.

• Dan

$75k is plenty of money. $400k is not enough. It all depends on your desires. They're upset because you want more. You would be upset too if you compared yourself to billionaire tycoons. I would say under $30k is working class, over $3 million is rich, and everyone in between is middle class.