Where to put eggshell?

my neighbors hate when i compost outside in the yard. where do i put them now? help please

Favorite Answer

I've found egg shells don't break down great directly in the compost. I wash them and put then in a sealed container in the kitchen. Once I get enough I crush them and use them on top of the soil to reduce snails from getting my plants or bury them when I plant tomatoes for added calcium.

If you find them useful in your compost, however, then you put them in your compost in your backyard.  Why would you let your neighbor dictate how you manage your garden?  As long as you're composting correctly, there is no smell or flies to worry about.  

We have composted for years since the 60's and eggshell does not break down.  So toss them in the garbage. Making a compost bin is a bunch of boards to make a wood box with no bottom It sits right on the soil.  Compost does not stink because YOU NEVER THROW IN MEAT, OR FAT, OR LARD, OR FISH.  Just what grows in a garden....the green stuff. and leaves and lawn clippings.  That is all  The box never moves but you dig it over once a year and bring the bottom to the top and bury the fresh stuff in the old stuff and add water.  It never should be dry.  You have a compost as you can use this for your garden soil once it sits for about 2 years and you take out the bottom stuff as that is closest to turning into dirt. and work it into the garden soil.  If you have no garden then there is no need for a compost.

Get a compost bin, which stands directly on the ground without a base, and has a little "door" in the side at ground level that you can open and shovel compost straight out. Meanwhile you keep putting egg shells, vegetable peel, teabags and all the rest of it in at the top of the bin, which has a lid.

It doesn't smell, and the little door prevents rats from getting in.

Simple throw them in the trash, they don't take up that much space after all they will crumble with weight on them!                

• ?

eggshell dont decompose dope , they belong in the rubbish .. use your brain .

• Ann

Get a container to keep your compost in.  I use a 30 gallon plastic trash can, and I put eggshells as well as fruit/vegetable peelings and grass cuttings.  I turn the contents over, using a garden trowel, about once a week.  Be sure to keep the barrel covered.  (They come with lids). That way, it doesn't smell, and the composting action works very well. 

Keep a small covered container in the kitchen for eggshells, then crush them and sprinkle them on top of your compost. 

• ?

It's your yard, so tough **** on them. Otherwise what is wrong with the trash?

Dry them out in the oven (some people put their empty egg shells in the fridge or freezer until they have enough worth doing.  Once they dried out grind them up (you can use a rolling pin and a plastic bag, a mortar and pestle, a food processor, etc).  Then scatter them outside.  This way they won't attract vermin, which I assume is the root of your neighbors' complaint, and it's not noticeable.  The plants get the same benefit.

If you can't do anything with your food waste you might as well put it in the normal trash.