Robert asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Can my dog get a turkey bone if he has old teeth? ?

CookieCat is a sweet old Bernese mountain dog. He’s pretty good except for his bad stinky teeth. 

I want to give him a sturdy feeling turkey leg bone.  I don’t think he has the force to splinter this bone. 

• Fred S

First have his teeth checked. Or try these dog treats that are supposed to clean their teeth.Anyway dogs get cavities too. So keep an eye on it.Don't wait to long Doggy dental bills can get pretty high.Bad teeth can also kill a dog just like in humans.

I don't think you should. Instead, pick all the soft meat and cartilage off the bone and give that to him. If he can't chew if up properly, he might swallow some pieces whole, and that wouldn't be good for him. 

• TK

No dog should ever be allowed cooked bones.  Not ever.  If you are feeding raw, then it's okay to give bones.  My local grocery had a great sale on turkey and my dogs have been enjoying it for a couple weeks. I feed raw and mine eat meat, bones, and organs. 

• ?

If he is a kibble fed dog then don't.   He will splinter it and crush it but he doesn't have the stomach acidity to break the bone down.  One bone is not going to take away stinky teeth but may well splinter his gut. 

First of all get a vet check to make sure he doesn't need dental work or indeed have something worse such as kidney issues which cause bad breath.   If all that is ok then get something like 'Plaque off' which will help.  

Lastly I am hoping you realise that NO cooked bone should ever be given and am wondering how you are getting an uncooked turkey leg bone in the first place.   If you give this as a cooked bone then you have even more problems.

I'm hoping this is a troll question 

NO COOKED BONES FOR DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Maxi

"bad stinky teeth. " get him into the vet and get the treatment done as they will not just be bad stinky teeth. , but causing pain/inflammation/

In so far as feeding you dog a 'turkey bone' then ONLY raw, never give bones cooked as they splinter espeically poultry bones however you could cause other issues like stomach problems  if you do not feed your dog raw/bone normally,  if you normally  feed kibble your dogs gut is alkaline where as dogs fed raw /bone it is acidic...so you do not mix the two

Have you ever cracked a cooked chicken/Turkey bone? It's like a knife! Try and get a really big beef marrow bone from a butcher. It's a big dog so you want a big bone to stop him getting too much off it. It does need to be raw of course.

nope.......................

Raw or not, I prefer not to give mine poultry bones, period.   And if your dog has dental problems, now is the time to involve your vet - he probably needs a clean and polish at least - perhaps even a few extractions.   That should make his life more comfortable.

• jijawm

my gut reaction was "no way!" Poultry bones have very thin walls, and you know the risks. But then,  you know your dog