do tin bullets cause more fouling than lead?

i ask because i have been smelting my own lead bullets as of lately. and today i shot about 150 rounds and the barrel fouled like you wouldnt believe. i honestly thought at first the rifling went smooth. ive been attacking it for the last 5 hours, so you understand the frustration i am currently feeling. 

so i started to think of alternative metals to use. now, i do understand that tin has a lower melting point than lead. but i cannot seem to find the answer to this anywhere. 

alternatively, how would you handle this extremely lead fouled barrel?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, you need a hardening agent mixed with the tin.

• 2 months ago

Yes tin is too soft

• 2 months ago

Shooting lead bullets with no hardening agent (antimony) is a recipe for a long cleaning process. Next time, get some expert advice on processing the lead. You need to buy a bronze mesh drag device to clear the lead, and you'll be at it for a long time. Your other option is to sent the barrel to a professional to have it cleaned.

You never heard of gas checks? 

• 2 months ago

Yes. Lead is very dangerous and was banned in paints.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • L.N.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Pure lead is too soft for anything other than round balls for a muzzleloader. Tin makes the alloy flow into your mold better, but doesn't add a lot of hardness. To make the alloy hard enough to be fired with useful velocity you need to add antimony to the alloy. Used wheel weights and linotype alloy were a good source but the supply has long dried up. Stick on wheel weights for alloy wheels today are usually pure lead or zinc. Zinc will poison your lead pot and make you cast little silver raisins. I still have several buckets of old wheel weights, diving weights and pewter from the thrift store that I used to make my alloy. Not sure what I'm going to do when the wheel weights are finally all gone.

• BBean
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"do tin bullets cause more fouling than lead?" 

Wouldn`t it be appropriate to ask the % of tin in the bullets mentioned? The short answer to the ? in bold....yes.

All low melt soft metals tend to be gummy. There`s a reason for alloying metals for a specific use. There`s also formulas for casting bullets.

Any of the metals used individually in molding bullets will have undesirable results. You need the tin for a noncorrosive...the antimony for hardness...the lead for the mass. There are also tried and proven alloys for basic lead bullets.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.