Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Was this rude of me?

At work we have a metal detector and have to have our bags and coats searched. I was waiting for my coat and reached by the lady next to me to grab it. She freaked out on me for not saying excuse me, but I wasn’t even really paying attention and was tired so I didn’t think anything of it. I didn’t even touch her. 

• Jerry

This is one of those instances where beauty and harmony are much more important than truth and justice. Whether it was rude or not is of little importance because you could have made everything OK again by simply saying "Of course you're right. Please excuse my thoughtlessness." No matter how much it may be true that the lady is over reacting, no matter how much it may be true that you shouldn't need to apologize, you should still be choosing to promote good will instead of doing what you're doing now and embracing discord and ill will. 

Please consider that for many of us who wear corrective glasses or contacts, that hand you're moving around 2 feet from our face appears to be 2 inches from our nose, our eyes. It is indeed alarming. Whether it was your intention to startle this lady, whether she is unreasonable to be startled aren't relevant. What is relevant is that you could have easily restored harmony but instead choose anger and resentment. 

• ?

She was probably distracted and tired too, and to have your arm suddenly reach out close to her was unexpected and may have startled her.  Yes, it would have been better to to excuse yourself.

Yes, it was a little rude.  You should have said excuse me as you reached by her.