Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 2 months ago

What could be causing an old computer to not boot?

So I have this old PC that I want to run in order to get the information off of. It's not very recent, but not very old either(Don't know the CPU or GPU, but it has 4GB of  DDR3 RAM and ran Windows 10 so it can't be THAT old.) When you press the power button, it starts to run, but doesn't display anything on the monitor, then it stops working, then it starts to try and boot again, only to stop, and then start again. I read that's caused by a short circuit somewhere on the motherboard. I think it may be the RAM, as when I remove the RAM stick, the PC boots and stays on, and does not perform the actions I described earlier, however obviously I can't use it since it has no RAM. I don't have a free RAM stick laying around to try, any ideas before I go out and buy an old used RAM?

Clean all the dust out. Reseat all the removable parts, replug cables etc.

This is called a boot loop.  If you are not getting a POST Beep (Power On Self Test Beep which indicates all hardware is actuated) then the problem is in the hardware. 

If you are comfortable working in the PC, reseat the RAM and try again.  If the same thing persists, buy new RAM. 

• keerok

You don't need the whole PC. You only need to connect the hard disk to a working computer. If it ran win10, I'm almost sure it's a SATA hard disk so if that's the case, you should be able to connect it directly to the motherboard of the newer computer granting you have an extra SATA cable. If the computer and OS recognizes the hard disk then you can recover your data at once.