2004 ford expedition rough idle ?

Hey everyone! New to this page! So I'm going to ask a car question 

Its a 2004 ford expedition with the 5.4L triton V8. 

The service engine soon light is on and when it runs for a bit the light will flash an the motor will idle really low. Not sure if anyone's experience has been with the expedition. All guages read perfect. No oil pressure drops or anything weird.... plan to have codes read soon just thought I would ask

• Evil C

Is it the 2 valve or 3 valve 5.4? The 2 valve motors are okay but the 3 valve motors are junk.

Usually a flashing CEL is a random misfire or cylinder specific code. I'd replace the spark plugs with OEM spark plugs. Clear the codes after reading them and replacing the spark plugs. if the codes return it may need coils. The 6 cylinder Fords have coil issues. Not sure if the 8 cylinder motor has the same common coil problems. Do a search on youtube for misfire codes on your 5.4 Liter and find out if people have been replacing the coils.