I got into a car accident with no insurance? Details inside PLEASE HELP..?

I got into a car accident with a car that was in a funeral line. There was damage to the truck and my bumper is leaning.. didn't care about my bumper..

He called the police, the police gave me a ticket for impeding traffic, I have 14 days to address that.. I also have no insurance, the police still has to call me back about that information..

THE OTHER GUY HAS INSURANCE...Once I tell him I have no insurance when he calls back what is the worst case scenario legally and with the law?

Michigan is tge state

Michigan is the state... 

Its a no fault state..

• Willie

Pay the fine and next time stop when you see a line of cars bumper to bumper because it may be a funeral procession.

If the other driver has insurance coverage for uninsured/under insured motorist then his insurance company will pay for the damage you caused to his vehicle, either with him paying a deductible or not paying depending on his own coverage. Then his insurance company will come after you for the money they paid out to fix his vehicle, through subrogation.

If he doesn't have that coverage, the same would apply if he has full coverage insurance.

If he doesn't have insurance coverage to repair his vehicle then he would have to repair his vehicle and then sue you for the money he spent to pay it.

If you have no assets for an insurance company to come after, house, car, bank accounts, etc. then they will likely not pursue subrogation much at all. However, they will then give him the right to sue you himself. So either way worst case scenario relating to the damages you caused, you will be sued. Criminal penalties could also come your way from the city or state for you not having insurance for your own liability.

He sues you personally and wins since it was your fault.  You owe him whatever the court decides you owe him.

• xyzzy

It of course depends on where you live. The penalties for a first offense in Georgia including $25 lapse fee, a $60 reinstatement fee, a driver’s license and registration suspension of up to 60 days, and a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $1000 and up to one year in jail. Depending on the circumstances of the offense, one or more of these penalties may be applied. Other states are similar. Of course you be subject to a civil suit to pay for the repair of the other persons vehicle and any medical expenses and possibly lost wages.

Since it is against the law in Michigan to operate a motor vehicle with no insurance, you will be paying for the damage out of your pocket to the other drivers insurance company who will pay for their customers car, they will then sue you for the damages.

The no fault will not apply to you as you have no insurance and were driving on the road illegally. NO fault simply means each drivers insurance company pays for their clients damages. In your case, you have no insurance and should not have been on a public road, so you are at fault 100%.

The impeding traffic ticket makes no sense, that means you were stopping traffic from going around you or forcing it to stop, you were involved in a traffic accident while moving.

Depending on how you hit the vehicle you either disregarded an automated traffic signal, ran a stationary traffic instruction (stop, yield) or you rear ended a guy which basically means you were driving to fast and failed to have your vehicle under control, or you were driving to fast for the conditions at the time (rain, snow, ice, wet pavement)

Also, you should have received the no insurance ticket on the spot, I do not understand the he will get back with you. Get back with you about what? You do not have insurance, nothing to get back with you about.

I can see the other drivers insurance company calling you with settlement information but the police officer is out of it at this point.

There is no longer a drivers responsibility fee in Michigan, that law was removed last year.

No jail time either, there will be a fee, court costs, ticket cost.

Your main concern is if the driver sues you for injuries, and he has a year to do that

• Kieth

You are so screwed, one way or another, you are going to pay big.

The rule are different everywhere.  I can tell you how it is where I live.

When you buy insurance in my state, 'uninsured motorist' coverage is optional.  If the other guy's insurance covers 'uninsured motorist', they will pay for his damage, and then come after you.  Otherwise the guy himself can sue you for damages.

Where I live, if you get caught driving without at least liability insurance, you lose your license for a full year.  If you get caught driving on a suspended license you could do 30 days in jail or 60-90 days at home with a GPS strapped around your ankle.  If you have a job you can negotiate being allowed to go to work and back, but nowhere else.

The ticket for impeding traffic is like any other ticket.  You can pay it, or you can go to court and defend yourself, or you can plead guilty and ask the judge if he could reduce the fine.

Sounds like you were liable for the accident.

Driving without insurance will result in fines and a suspension of driver's license. The police already know you have no insurance since they were called at the scene of the accident.

If he has un-insured coverage, his insurance will pay. However, that doesn't get you out the woods because you will be responsible for your vehicle damage and any fines resulting from driving without insurance.

I understand insurance is expensive, but it's much much more costly if you get in an accident without it, even a minor one. Always have insurance on your car.

• Scott

It depends upon the state and who was at fault in this accident.

Driving without insurance is considered a misdemeanor in Michigan. You will pay a driver responsibility fee for two consecutive years, face up to one year in jail, and surrender your driver's license for 30 days. You'll have to pay a $125 service fee to reinstate your license.