Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Why is being old considered an excuse to be rude?

It's never made sense to me. I've met so many older people who constantly talk about how people don't have any respect, and yet they don't show any either. How can someone complain about people not having manners, when they've had twice as long to learn some, and still haven't figured them out? 

Either people are misunderstanding the question, or they're intentionally ignoring it. 

So many people think that, no matter what an older person says or does, they still deserve respect. And that's BS. If someone is insulting you, or yells at you, or is in any way unkind, they don't deserve your respect. "They're just old" isn't an excuse for their behavior. A jerk is a jerk regardless of how old they are. It's one thing to have a bad day, it's another to just be a bad person. 

it shouldnt be an excuse for that

I don't think they're rude because they're 'old'. It's entirely up to that person's character. Just like not all younger people are rude. When I was younger, being raised to 'respect your elders' - I was gobsmacked when I had this old woman being really rude to me when I was just trying to help her. I never took for granted that an old person would be polite after that. A person who is nasty when they're younger, are still nasty when they're old. . .  

• Life

They're old and in age especially the elderly ones. They're the ones suffering and aren't able to do a lot in general. TF.

Most of the time the younger people who don't grasp this concept are the people who don't grasp what it means to be respectful.  They confuse people who share their opinion as being disrespectful, especially when those opinions are different from their own.  For example I bet you believe people, especially younger ones, are respectful despite what older people say, right?  Just because you don't agree with each other doesn't mean disrespect exists.

I know I am not going to convince you, but that is a valid answer to your question.  You will understand when you are older, typically at about 25.  Good Luck.  

I'm 68 years old, and I hate the idea that people should just automatically respect people my age just because we're older. We aren't any different than we've ever been. It's not like we hit a certain age, and suddenly changed into some higher being that should be treated differently just because we exist. Anyone who treats me differently than they would a younger person with the same personality isn't being respectful. They're just drawing attention to my age, and it makes me feel even older. And I don't know anyone else who likes it either. If I'm a *****, tell me I'm a *****. 

That's why I appreciate my grandson so much. He doesn't treat me any differently because of my age. We argue back and forth all the time, and I always tell people to shut their mouth if they try to say something to him. 

Though, I will say, sometimes it's kind of fun to see how much I can get away with. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've been able to say to people, and still have them tell me to "have a blessed day" when they leave. 

Back when America was great young people showed some damn respect. Trump helped bring some of that back but now the liberals are going to ruin it again. Get a haircut, shut your mouth and get to work.