?
? asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

Takeout dinner provided in a large cloth thermal bag: return it to the restaurant?

A private club where I am a member had take-out Thanksgiving dinners this year.  I picked up mine for my family: they came in a huge black thermal bag: a cloth exterior, metallic interior and a beautiful logo on the outside.  A letter enclosed in it stated that the food thermometer is a gift.  

Nothing said that the bag should be returned to the club, but I assume it would be, right?  

If so, I’ll email the club and just ask if it can be returned next time I’m there.

Or would I keep the bag?  Surely it can be reused, and it’s beautiful.  But it must be expensive.

Favorite Answer

I am betting that with the virus concerns, you keep the bag.  Even without virus concerns, I would think the bag was meant to be kept. Places of business get those kinds of things in bulk and good prices and are often considered a part of the advertising costs. YOU get a lovely bag to reuse and when folks ask where you got it, and you tell them or they notice the logo, that private club just got advertising, all based on a bag.

A private club is a little fancy so I think it was meant as a gift with the meal.

If they didn't tell you to return it, it's likely to be something you can keep, but it won't hurt to ask if you're unsure.

I am guessing that bag was a gift, and as such you can keep it. The person who delivered it would have told you otherwise if it was meant to go back.

• denise

I'd take it back the next time you go there.

• Tavy

The thermal bag is a thermometer, it is a gift.

Member dues paid for the bags. You can ask the management, but they should have told you to return it if they wanted to have them sanitized clean and re-used.