Martin asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

What's  best for a flat tummy? ?

I am petite and have a slight round tummy, well my Gran mentioned the word round,. It's not obvious when clothed on. It does bother me as that's the only bit that annoys me. 

I hear that drinking water helps with getting a flat tummy. Though I also hear drinking too much water is bad for you! 

I don't have a lot of time to myself hence have little time to do exercise . I am always working.

I seem to eat the right foods , fruit , avoid potatoes, bread, etc. I like fish . 

Even if you eat the right foods, do you consume too many calories? Because remember, too many calories will make you put on weight. It would be helpful to know your BMI, height and weight to estimate if you're slim or of a medium size.

" What's  best for a flat tummy? "

A nice looking belly button.

Normal healthy people don't have flat stomachs. Eat actual food - potatoes aren't bad for you.

Drinking plenty of water and being hydrated is important to overall health, but probably doesn't make much of a different in your tummy.  There are several factors that contribute to a round of flat tummy.

1. Excess fat.  If you have fat stored in your abdomen, it will have a rounded appearance.  if you have excess fat, the only ways to remove it are diet (burn the fat) or a cosmetic procedure like liposuction to remove the fat.  Diet is a better option.

2. Excess bloat and waste product.  If you eat a lot of carbs you can have what is sometimes called "wheat belly."  If your don't have a healthy gut biome, you can have various issues that can result in a more protruding abdomen.  Consider your diet and also consider taking a probiotic if you think this is the issue.

3. Weak abdominal muscles.  There are many different muscles in your abdomen.  If they aren't strong, they aren't going to hold your insides in.  This has nothing to do with fat.  If you don't have good core strength, consider starting to do some ab exercises.  There are dozens or 10-minute core/ab workouts on YouTube.  This is not the same as a full body workout, just targets your core muscles. 

As for your grans' advice.  Water will help with elimination, so if part of the issue is constipation, drinking more water might help a little. 

• Lili

This is probably not a matter of diet, just of the way you are built.

Drink about half as much water in ounces as you weigh. If you weigh 100 pounds, drink 50 ounces a day.  You get most of the water you need from food anyway.

You need some fiber in your diet: fruit, vegetables, and whole grains are fine. Potatoes are nutritious and a good source of fiber.

• Barry

Sit ups will tone your tum. Start with a small number and ad a couple daily.