What kind of car oil should I use?

I have a 2014 Volkswagen and use synthetic oil for my car. It has nearly 100,000 miles and wanted to see what kind of engine oil is best for my car. 5W-40 / 30 ? 

Yes 5 W30 is Good I have a 2002 VW Bora V5 and I use Castrol edge and my Manual says to change every 10,000 Miles

with 128,000 klm

None of this 2,500 Rubbish that is Pre WW2

yes that oil will be fine 

• ?

There's usually a chart in the owner's manual showing which oil(s) to use, and which weather temperatures they work best in.... which will probably give you a better answer than you're likely to get here considering you omitted to mention which of the many various models of car Volkswagen produced it is you actually own + what engine they inserted into it.

5W-30 will probably work fine, especially if it's a decent brand like Shell / Castrol / Mobil, etc.

depends on the climate where you live

30 for colder regions

40 for hotter regions

Maybe the  best oil for you, and everyone else, is the cheapest regular oil you can buy and change every 2500 miles.  I have yet to hear a good explanation of why synthetic oil is better.  It costs much more than regular oil and lasts much longer.  But the whole idea, like washing your hands, is to change oil frequently.  It gets full of dirt and hydrocarbons.  The cheapest oil you can find anywhere comes out of the very same hole in the ground as the most expensive oil.  Same goes for gasoline.  All the gasoline in your town, regardless of brand, comes out of just one pipeline.

Year, model and engine required. Most likely the grade to use is on the filler cap. Variable valve timing engines are viscosity sensitive so it is not a good idea to use anything other than the grade specified.

• Ron

What's best is what the owners manual says is the best

• Barry

I am sure either viscosity will be fine. Oil is listed according to ambient temperature and there are large overlaps. If you experience very cold weather the 30 would be best. Or 40 for a hot climate.

• Rick

use the oil the manufacturer says to use .................