Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

What to do with cat with burn injuries?

I feel so bad. I accidentally spilled boiling oil on my baby. She is in a lot of pain now. I don't have the money for vet now. Do you guys know how I can treat her wounds while I am looking for some cash?

• *****

That is a very large burn that looks quite severe, and needs veterinary care right away. You can look into something like care credit that would let you pay over time, or see if you can borrow money from friends or family. If you can't or won't get your cat to a vet right away, she should be surrendered to a shelter or rescue that can get her treatment. 

Do NOT apply topical sunburn products to your cat. Cats groom themselves and they are not safe to be ingested. Do NOT give your cat aspirin without the advice of a veterinarian. A baby aspirin would be an overdose for most cats, even a lower dose can be given at absolute most every 48 hours, and aspirin is contraindicated in many situations. A baby aspirin every 4-6 hours will KILL YOUR CAT. Cats are extremely sensitive to antiinflammatories and pain killers. 

Take to vet and say what happened, while applying for care credit!

First, ice the burn until it is cool.  Then let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes until warm.  Ice again 1 to 5 minutes until cool.  Keep alternating cold and not cold.  This brings the lymphocytes into the area and allows them to heal the skin and fight infection.  This is the quickest way to heal the skin.

What I would do is get some wash cloths, wet them, and put each one into a ziplock bag and into the freezer.  Then when one is frozen you can use it on the cat for the short cooling session and then put it back in the freezer.  

Also, if you can, get some sunburn spray with lidocaine, like Solarcaine.  Spray it on the skin; it is a topical anesthetic.  

The more times you alternate between cold and not cold, the faster it heals.

Also, you can give the cat a baby aspirin ore equivalent every 4 to 6 hours.  Do not use any human pain reliever except aspirin, as the others are poisonous to the cat.

• TB12

That cat needs a vet NOW,, if you don't get her to a vet there is a very good chance she will die soon.