Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

Is it possible this isn't the first universe that existed?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The "Dark Energy" question applies to your question.  If the mass of the universe is big enough to eventually overpower the force of the Big Bang, it would collapse on itself and lead to another cycle.  But we don't think there is enough dark matter or dark energy to make that happen.  I.e. current theory says NO but there are some theoreticians who still believe in a cyclic universe.  I'm aware of the theories but am not enough of a cosmologist to tell you why current theory says NO.

• 2 months ago

YES and what you call the universe may very well be just a small part of something much much larger and even older still since it all looks like it is a cyclic system with Black Holes playing a key role in that formation...

N.Shadows 

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It is possible that Santa Claus is real. Doesn't mean I am going to entertain the idea any more than I would consider the notion of "other universes", evidence of which there is none.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure it could

We have no idea of what was there before the Big Bang

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I suspect that most cosmologists ,today, believe we are part of a multiverse -- so the description "universe" needs qualification .

That is , "our universe" is possibly just one of many ,in a "space/ universe " that could contain an infinite number ,and which may have existed for an infinite time .  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It may be cyclical. If particles can randomly appear in a vacuum, I don't see why universes couldn't. 

Because I am a fantasy prone, shaky grip on reality sorta kinda scientific kind of beta guy, that's why.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.