Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How do I teach my dog to control his desire for food?

My dog keeps on demanding more food even though I feed him enough. He can't wait for his favorite food. How do I make him understand?

Update:

I give him too much food but still he demands for more.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You cannot make him understand.  All you can do is hold a rigid feeding time & tell him no every time he asks for more.  If you are feeding canned dog food, the hard kibbles would be better cause it help keep the teeth clean.  Treats only for training.  You have to stay on the schedule & do not alter.  Tell him no & don't play games.

• 2 months ago

You can't, because dogs, like most animals, instinctively know that extra calories can be the difference between survival and death. In nature, a creature eats as much as it can, because tomorrow, and the next day, it can starve. Nature isn't so abundant that organisms suffer negative consequences of obesity, rather, they put on a few pounds when times are plentiful, and in the lean times of scarcity, lose this extra. Your dog does not have an abstract brain, so nothing will convince him that tomorrow he won't go hungry. So just feed him a reasonable, healthy portion, and don't leave food where he can get it.https://esacare.com/top-three-dog-training-myths-e...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Is his favorite food Thanksgiving sweet potatoes?

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't make him understand...  you just feed him the twice a day and that's that.  If you give in and give any extra at all he will start demanding more.

Another reason why we shouldn't free feed as dogs do not regulate their food well enough.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You decide which one of you is in charge.  Maybe it's you.  Maybe it's the dog.

You feed him the amount suggested by your Veterinarian and ignore his demands for more.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Dogs are opportunists by nature and some breeds are highly food driven/greedy, they are also great manipulators of humans as they 'train' humans very easily 'if' their human gives in........... you 'make him understand' by not allowing him to manipulate you, insted send him away to his bed, take him for a walk and you certainly don't feed him more than he needs as all you are doing is storing up serious health issues later in his life

• 2 months ago

Forty to 45 percent of all dogs in the USA are overweight, about 25% are morbidly obese.  This leads to bone and joint issues, heart problems, and diabetes, & extra danger under anesthesia....  just to mention a few DOWNSIDES of an overweight dog.  

From this information, does it sound like most dogs (can or will) control the number of calories they consume?  That is YOUR JOB. "Love" is not spelled food or treats.  Of course, the dog will beg for food..... ESPECIALLY - if it works (and you REWARD it, by giving in).  Know or establish the correct number of calories to be feeding your dog per day and DO NOT exceed it - with your vet's help.  If your dog is overweight, talk to your vet about reducing how much you feed (either reducing the amount fed or changing the brand of food to one with less fat & protein & more fiber) and whether you need to add bowl filler (like green beans) and talk about how to carefully increase exercise to burn off the excess weight.  If the dog BEGS for food, DISTRACT the dog with games or exercise.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The more you giver in to your dogs demands for  food, the more he will demand more and more.

Just IGNORE his demands and only feed him his regular meals twice  day and no treats in between unless its a reward for good training.

YOU are seen by the dog as weak if you keep giving in to his demands, and he is taking you for a mug.

Toughen up and the dog will respect you a lot more and eventually he WILL stop demanding. 

Your dog....your choice. Make it the right one eh?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

do u feed him twice a day and leave out biscuits? This may stop his begging. Alos giving him a raw bone from the butchers may keep him amused for hours and also stop the begging. I know some dogs by nature always want food. I am worried you are not feeding him enough.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.