? asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Is feeling really sad looking back at old memories a sign of a depression or mental illness? ?

I was cleaning the loft, and I found my Super Nintendo I used to play when I was 5-8 years old. I thought playing on it would make me happy, but it sort of made me sad because the times gone now and I can't get it back.

Sadness with nostalgia is normal. Obsessing about memories is a sign of depression. If you think you might be depressed, you can take a screening test online, such as CESD R, or KADS 6-Item if you're a teenager, I have advice from experts in my answers. There's a lot of things that can help.

A problem with memories that psychologists talk about is that it's hard to have fun with them because memories of bad things get in the way when we're trying to enjoy happy memories. They say it's a practical matter. We learn more from bad things that happen to us. The therapeutic value of living in the present moment is an idea that's caught on. It's part of mindfulness, a traditional Asian practice that's being used by therapists.

• kelvin

it's neither of them...................

• yes that happens to me a lot, i get sentimental and nostalgic.