Steven
Lv 4
Steven asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Does overrating the importance of Grammar make us appear arrogant, and also make us appear to lack that ability to pick up on cues?

I have noticed on the internet more and more people coming in for actual horrendous bullying from people that appear to think grammatical perfection somehow gives them the right to inflict the most horrific verbal assaults on those they deem linguistically inferior, so long as it is grammatically superior.

And i am genuinely worried that internet sites may actually be making the mistake of agrreing that grammatical perfection is the most important thing, as i know they place a lot of emphasis on conforming to a certain standard of rule.I came to this conclusion as a few quotes i am going to reveal below, were reported, but not removed.However, the quotes below are just a couple i picked up on the internet regarding a person that was asking for the opinion of others on the story she had wrote.Her use of the English language showed more signs of empathy, and over-all politeness, and she actually made those speaking with grammatical perfection, appear nothing but rude and obnoxious."I can't decide which is worse: your silly pathetic fantasy or your English."."Again, everyone just mass reports your questions anyway, so this will likely be gone in a few hours, but since you asked: I think it's laughably atrocious, I think it's astonishing that you somehow manage to make the scenarios you present in your repeater troll spam violation posts progressively worse as they go on, and I still think that you're a sad, lonely person who's very much in need of psychiatric help.".

Update:

And what is written in those quotes was just a couple of quotes taken from the full scale grammatically perfect verbal assault the author received, and to be honest, she had not made any errors that would stand out to anyone other than someone actually looking for them, and she used the English language to be polite and courteous.

So i am wondering, does it also make us appear to not know how to use Grammar in all its various forms, positively, as opposed to using it to harm people?

Update 2:

And what is written beneath is just a couple of quotes taken from the full scale grammatically perfect verbal assault the author received, and to be honest, she had not made any errors that would stand out to anyone other than someone actually looking for them, and she used the English language to be polite and courteous.

So, what i was also wondering, does it also make us appear to not know how to use grammar positively, as opposed to negatively, to hurt someone?

Update 3:

Sods law.

It jumbled all my words up and double posted my update.

Update 4:

Do people know right from wrong anymore?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"Overrating" = circular argument (conclusion in premise).

"Can you judge a person by the way he speaks or spells; Is this more important than the story that he tells?"  This legal brief, submitted 11-25-2020, has by 11-26-2020 drawn heavy media criticism for the typing skills of some pressured typist, even as the (two) briefs were being worked on near the hour of their submissions:  https://defendingtherepublic.org/wp-content/upload... and https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8989093/F...  Would note that submitting a false affidavit is a felony taken quite seriously by the court system, and that "expert testimony" offered by e.g. university Ph.D.s is primarily evaluated by other colleagues, not by a news media headline writer or even an ("editorializing") news reporter.  We logically await the courts' decisions in this most serious set of charges.  Regardless of who might be the "lying dictator in power," election fraud is a genuine, serious charge, and even typoed briefs deserve their day in court.

Part of genuine goodness is communication, "other minds."  Some grammar is good, e.g. using the subjunctive tense re ifness.  

Empathy and compassion for "the stranger within the gates" is a virtue; human sympathy is often deceptive.  Attacks by "language police" re ESL writers is especially indicative of psychological/academicist fear of "Other;" obviously the content of a poorly-worded ESL is important. 

A related social communication concern:  abbreviating as a lessening of in-formation, perhaps due to lessened attention, e.g. "info" losing the concept of "form," and reducing to "newsy data"--some things of insight are unfortunately ignored with incorrect usage.  And yet, while "form" = proper, and "newsy" may on occasion = authenticity, truth, hidden under an "ungrammatical bushel."  So there appear to be no hard and fast rules, a truism unfortunately overlooked even (or especially) in politically charged systems of "ideological correctness" so evident among "true believers," aka "grammar, political, religious, etc. totalitarians." 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, your right what's up must come down, and only the right of up and bring  down to earth and so on our way to love of all and by all so all things  "appear to lack that ability to pick up on cues?" So lost many are in you or us guys souls lost in a space of death. The answer is to be still and know God.Grammer has its place but when it points to self its works are empty and ready for the grave. So souls become lost and desperation is on the rise to where? That's the point So where could it go? We all stand lost. Earth is the prize before us and as we being of the dust we need is other to complete the Mystery.And the answer, still, Jesus saves. Yes, your right what's up must come down, and only the right of up and bring  down to earth and so on our way to love of all and by all so all things  "appear to lack that ability to pick up on cues?" So lost many are in you or us guys souls lost in a space of death. The answer is to be still and know God.

Grammer has its place but when it points to self its works are empty and ready for the grave. So souls become lost and desperation is on the rise to where? That's the point So where could it go? We all stand lost. Earth is the prise before us and as we being of the dust we need is other to complete the Mystery

• 2 months ago

Bad grammar is a sure sign of a lack of education.  It can cost you employment and opportunities. If you dress sloppy people will think you are sloppy. If you speak dumb people will think you are dumb. Learn to speak and write correctly and fool them all. (haha)

• 2 months ago

Gee.  All that?  Who knew?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The bible was writ by multi-lingual swordsmen that didn't know how to check facts, and facts spelt fakts or else, are what they were meant to be writing.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Brevity and clarity are ideal for posts on comment-type forums. If a post is verbose or syntactically challenged then it makes it difficult to read and comprehend. Which makes it less likely to attract a helpful or sympathetic response. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you want people to listen to what you have to say, you need to present your argument in a clear and concise way. It needs to be free of errors - no misspellings, no grammatical errors, and it needs to demonstrate correct usage. If you can't do that, educated people will likely disregard it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am fairly certain it's grammar rather than Grammar. But the balance of the monologue appears to be perfect. The problem is partially that people take themselves too seriously. There are a few other issues to consider. One is that Yahoo Answers has become troll invaded, mostly concerned with the election. Spelling and grammar errors were the best way to identify. Of course there is also a misconception that when weak English is that of a second language, it doesn't mean the author is stupid and instead they are smart in knowing the extra language. There is also in debate, when you can't win the debate, attack the speaker. Logical fallacies are the hallmark of President Trump. The main goal of written and spoken language is communication. Language changes over time with addition of new words and alternate meanings of existing words, and even in the structure and form of what is acceptable grammar. And one wrong way to lift oneself up is by putting others down. That is embedded in many aspects of life. There are many skills that people have and written communication is a skill. There is a "power of the pen".

You are correct that "grammar Nazis" can be annoying, but we have to learn to ignore some people as they have their own problems. There are two things more important than anything else. The first is a person's self-integrity and others perception of that integrity. Many people sell their soul for gain, or are sloppy about promises and commitments. The second is acceptance and tolerance of other people. We share this planet and are the caretakers for future generations. Many people seem to forget that as they view the world as theirs.

And, in the bottom of the long question is one of using grammar in a positive way. I attempted to open my answer with that. Humor instead of attack. Humor takes on many forms and I hope you appreciated and understood mine at the start. Use grammar positively by keeping corrections as a minor point at the end as a teaching tool, rather than as an attack, or ignoring the errors. We should all be willing to learn a little bit. It is one human strength.      

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Correct grammar is the mark of educated people.  And it's not rocket science.   Anybody can speak correctly if they give a damn. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The quality of questions invariably dictates the quality of replies.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.