Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

I feel like I can't even speak my native language properly? What's wrong with me?

I'll provide a little background. I was raised in an English speaking country where we lived for seven years, and then my family and I went to France(my mother is French) where I lived since then. Sometimes I feel like I can't speak French like French people who were born in France, and I feel like it's easier for me to speak English. What is wrong with me? 

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

You went to France early enough that you shouldn't have any difficulties with French, so I'd say the problem is largely in your head.  

However, even many bilingual people have a preferred language.  I imagine your mother spoke French to you from your birth, but since you were surrounded by English-speakers until you were 7, English became your preferred tongue.

Nothing's "wrong" -- you just feel like an English speaker in a non Anglophone nation.  But you probably speak French perfectly well, because your mother spoke it to you and you moved to France at such an early age.