Marvin
Marvin asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

You thoughts on a Honda Rebel?

I bought my wife a Honda Supercub C125 for her birthday.

I can ride her “Scoootie” but it looks like a plastic toy under me because I am 6’3”. She is a little Asian so the bike is just the right size for her and will get about 120 miles to a gallon.

I am not a “big bike” type. I just do not want to drive the Grand Cherokee every day, on my ten mile commute, so a basic bike is what I had in mind. Can I get by on 300cc? I do not plan to ride on the freeway.

I like my 2009 Rebel.  But I don't know much about the new models.  

• ?

Rebel is a great little bike for around towns or nothing over 50 mile trips

I would recommend a Honda CB500 twin instead of the rebel. They can keep up with fast moving traffic, have good economy and no reliability issues, while being simple to maintain. 

They can cruise at 80 all day long and aren't intimidating. If you want to lope along at 40 to 50 when your wife is riding her C125 they will do that happily. 

I'd get a 440-450  if I were you. Freeway or not, it means more steel between you and pavement and Cagers.  And a bit  more acceleration for tight spots, belter brakes, more tire surface area.  Great how just a twist of throttle without having to shift, as you'd have to on a 250, saves a split second that can mean a big difference.. 

i am doing it on a 150 cc Scooter, but I'm 5'6", 150#. That is, until  my Leg heals, then back on my 1440 cc (88") Harley.

EDIT: Displacement Does relate to physical size, usually. Not always no and not  always a direct ratio. A 450 might only be 80 lbs  heavier  than a 250, not 180% heavier nor a 180% longer wheel base or anything. .

• Anton

See roughly how you would look on any motorcycle:  https://cycle-ergo.com/

On a Rebel 250 you will have less space than on the Supercub.

Displacement of a motorcycle does not relate to physical size of the motorcycle.

At 5'8", I am uncomfortable on a dual-sport, you would be happy.  A used 125cc to 250cc  class dual-sport would be a good city ride -- a dual-sport doesn't care if you drop it, ignores bad pavement, potholes, curbs, etc..

• adam

your to tall to be comfortable on the 250 rebel. Or is it a 300 now? I know the 400 used to be the bigger Rebel. That would probably be to small as well . UNLESS you fitted forward controls on it. You most likely want a turnkey dont have to alter it bike.The Yamaha star line of motorcycles might fit the bill. Or a dual sport as they have a higher seating position and ground clearance. 

I am 6'2" and found a C90 was perfectly adequate for riding round town and commuting 10+ miles daily, less good for longer range but it would get there eventually. In my opinion, not that it matters to you, a small cruiser-type bike looks more ridiculous than a small scooter with a large rider just because of the scaled-down looks of the Rebel. Best of both worlds would be a 125 trail bike, super lightweight and you can see over the traffic.

• fuzzy

At your height I would recommend a dual sport, maybe drop the suspension a bit and fit it with street tires

• ?

Yes, you can get around on a 300cc motorcycle.  It might be too short for you.  

• CB

Tall guy like you should look at a honda 250 or above (recommend the 450) dual sport - seats are high and you won't look like a clown riding a tricycle - they are much more nimble than the rebel too.