Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Isn't it ridiculous that police in Shropshire are treating a schoolyard fight as a "racially motivated hate crime"?

From the way the police are describing it, you'd think that they'd committed murder. The BBC hasn't shown the video of the incident but their description of the event shows no racial intent at all. Seems to me that it's just boys being boys and the school should be able to deal with it. No doubt though that they'll have the book thrown at them and be called neo-Nazis or something by the left-wing media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-5...

• Cousin

No indeed. It's wrong to trivialise schoolyard fights as just "boys being boys". It's even worse than your already having trivialised it as a "schoolyard' fight. Schoolyard and indeed "school" are not cute little words with which to trivialise and cover-up the multitude of real crimes that take place all the time in schools, including bullying and assault and extortion. Beginning your criminal career in school should not be privileged.

• Zac Z

I don't know where you grew up but yours truly, being a man in his early 40s now, has been a boy when he was younger.

As such, I have by definition been a boy who was being a boy - and yet I have never had a "schoolyard fight" as you phrase it, much less have I participated in another boy "being pushed to the ground by two other boys and then struck a number of times in the head" which is what really happened according to the article you've linked to.

Your trivializing characterization of this incident is disgusting and reveals your true colors.

Even if this cowardly attack was not racially motivated it is nevertheless utterly unacceptable for a civilized society where raw violence should be shunned rather than played down.

Also, what Marli said.

I tell you, I spend all my time thinking about those Shropshire police. In the end; it is about the Crown prosecutor, the police are just the messenger here. Tell it to the judge. 

• Marli

Why are you asking this in the Books and Authors category?  It is not about books.

• ?

nope , it probably is , have you thought of that , use your brain for a change ..trolls comment on rubbish .

• Cogito

Not if it's become evident that the fight was racially motivated.   The public are never made aware of all the facts at this stage of an investigation - and as the attackers are still children, the police have to be very careful what they tell the media.  It may be that one or more of them made a racist comment to the police - but we won't know that until the trial.

The nasty attack happened away from the school and the victim was hit in the head several times. That sounds more than a case of "boys being boys" and the fact the victim was a Sikh gives reasonable cause to suspect it was racially motivated.

• Ludwig

It is from treating young thugs with kid gloves that we see them grow into sociopathic adolescents and hardened criminals.  Are there no borstals, where they could be shocked into order?

I concur with your observation.  Schoolyards are not the place for political correctness.

• GF

Once the n word or any other racial slur comes out its labeled a hate crime.