What Do You Think of Affordable Apartments or 'Second Chance' Rentals? ?

I've read a lot about cheap apartment rentals or rental companies that offer options for applicants with bad credit. Some have mixed reviews and others are renovated and spacious with 2 to 3 bedroom apartments. As I'm considering a rental, I'd like a few honest opinions/experiences. 

Take any online reviews with a grain of salt.  Only pissed off tenants that likely got caught on something ever bother to write one. Happy tenants don't waist their time. 

• ?

I personally have never heard of them.  I personally wouldn't expect a lot as far as décor/fixtures, renovations or space as like you said this is a "second chance" for you and the landlord is taking a financial risk to tenants in this predicament move in.  Beggars can't be choosers so to speak.

• a

You will be in an apartment complex with other tenants who have been evicted for non-payment of rent or lease violations. Consider what kind of neighbors you'll have and manage you expectations.

Unless this is a charity, they are in business to make money.  Their costs are the same as any other landlord's so ask yourself, how are they making a profit?  I am guessing that their 'cheap apartments' are dumps and their 'options for applicants with bad credit' have very high rents to offset their risk.  Don't confuse the two. 

By the way, you don't need 'renovated'.  If you want to live somewhere pleasant that is not too expensive, go with 'clean and structurally sound'.  My kitchen and bathrooms are from 1959 and as good as the day they were installed.