Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My dog sleeping in my bed?

For some reason I can’t sleep with my dog in my bed. He doesn’t try to move me, he stays in one spot and I have plenty of room when he’s sleeping with me. But for some reason I can’t sleep!! I tried a few times and it never works! This is my first dog, and I just really like the idea of him with me when I’m sleeping. (Since he’s still a puppy and In crate training, I let him sleep in my bed sometimes bc he likes it better) what do I do? How do I get used to him in my bed?

Apparently you like the idea of it better than the reality of it. Two choices: give up the idea or learn to deal with the reality.

You just do. You feel their company amd warmth. Plus they sleep very peacefully. 

• ?

It's not a good idea anyway so I'd suggest you don't. 

Your lifestyle could change over the life of your dog which will make it inconvenient for a dog to sleep on the bed.

A pup should never jump up or particularly down from a bed anyway as they have delicate growth plates that need protecting.

Plus,  this can lead to separation anxiety if they are always with you.  Better to make them confident to be on their own at times. 

As a puppy he is likely to still have accidents as well and if he starts peeing on your bed it will be hard to stop. 

my cat sleeps on my chest while i am fast

asleep

oh yes 

• Maxi

Of course the dog likes it, but it is YOUR bed not the dogs and what you are doing is telling the dog it is at the same level in the pack or higher up the pack then you are...as in a dogs head top dog gets best sleeping/resting position and that should be you, not a pup who is not even toilet trained......... by telling this pup that  it is top dog you are likely to face other behaviours of a 'top dog' which you really don't like.

Stop giving your dog choices, ESPECIALLY choices you don't like or want at this point in time you are setting your dog up to fail, when you should be concentrating on training, socalisation, toilet training and making all the choices YOURSELF to establish a well mannered, well behaved dog who will then feel secure and safe with its place in the pack which is below you and more importantly will not later on as it gets older start to challenge you

Lots of kids like CANDY - but it does not mean all parents see fit, to give them some whenever they ask for it or as MUCH as they want.  Who is in charge in your home - you or the puppy?  Any puppy still going thru crate-training, should stick to his routine.  If you had not started putting the pup on the bed - he would know no difference.  

FYI: jumping off and on the bed or falling off (since puppies are very NEAR SIGHTED) can lead to a number of injuries - which is why it is not recommended that they sleep there - until their soft bones & joints have finished growing.  Put the crate beside you bed and put the puppy IN IT - instead of ON your bed. Problem => solved!

Sounds like you are not really a dog person.   What you do is put his crate in the bedroom and lock him in the crate each night with his bed,  his toys,  his blanket,  etc.    Let him out in the AM.    If you extrapolate this you may find you can not sleep with a girl in your bed either.    I would not try the crate trick with her.  

It shouldn't matter if he likes it better or not, it is your bed & if you don't want him sleeping with you, keep putting him back on the floor.  Make a bed next to yours, where you can reach down & pet him to soothe his fears.

I don't like animals on my bed either, when I am trying to sleep & I have a pile of rugs & blankets down for her to lay on, right beside my bed.  She likes it cause the room is blacked out  & quite.

more fool you then for allowing it to sleep in your bed

You've just got to keep doing it I suppose. One of my two oldies that sleep in the bedroom used to get on the bed but he was so quiet and careful about it you wouldn't know he was there.