Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 2 months ago

Office staff calling themselves nurses?

Maybe this is petty, but for some reason it rubs me the wrong way. I work in a Urology clinic (almost a year now). I work closely with two MA’s. I am an LPN. Anyway, they call themselves nurses constantly, and one of them told a patient that an LPN and MA are the same thing. I stepped in and said no, they are not, however they are both important. I never think I’m above anybody just because I’m an LPN, but I would never tell someone I’m an “RN” or anything than what i actually am, even if we share the same responsibilities. One of them sent me a picture one time saying “The new nurse vs the experienced one” and sent it to me saying “you vs me haha” like WTF? it’s really annoying. it’s always like some sort of competition, well maybe just for them because I’m not competing against anyone- I’m there to work and that’s it. Anyway, what do you think? Should I say something? How do you without causing animosity? 

Clearly I’m not a argumentative person, nor am I easily angered. But what the f***?

Unless your clinic is not utilizing RNs to their full capabilities, there is a big difference between RNs & LPNs.

Depending on the job duties at the clinic an LPN and MA could be the same.

I think you missed the point of the note from your co-worker

"The new nurse vs the experienced one” and sent it to me saying “you vs me haha”.

- they weren't telling you that you have the same skills, they were telling you that they think you are green and don't know what you are doing.

You shouldn't say anything.  They don't respect you.  You need to earn your respect. 

Stop letting this get to you personally.  Instead, if you feel that the MAs are misrepresenting themselves to the patients and that this misrepresentation might lead to harm to the patients, then speak to the clinic director or MDs in the practice.

What y'all call yourselves between yourselves really doesn't matter.  What does matter is a patient thinking they are getting care or advice from a trained medical profession when they are, in fact, be treated medically by a person with a few classes in office administration.